12-17-2014 08:04 AM
Gas fireplace switches are usually a wiping contact. DC current as in this case has a habit of building up a slight oxidation on the normal touch type contacts of the normal AC wall switch. Because of the low dc voltage used to for the fireplace controller it can not overcome the contact build up and will become intermittent. Be careful in your choice of relays for this application. Past experience here talking.
01-09-2015 02:59 PM
01-10-2015 10:33 AM
Up front I want to say that's really, really scary and you should work with a professional so you don't end up suffocated or
"blowed up real good".
However, the solution should be to make sure you've connected your Maker's relay in parallel with the manual switch - wired to exactly the same terminals. A relay is just a switch, and should work the same way as the manual switch with no gas escaping - if it's not working properly you've wired it incorrectly.
01-19-2015 12:12 PM
Managed to get my maker set up to control the fireplace this weekend. Worked just as described in this thread...disconnected the manual switch, wire up the two terminals on the maker relay and presto, fired right up. I have a fireplace that also uses the pilot light to generate a low voltage. Been running now for a few days without any problems. I am not using the sensor input for anything, but eventually I plan to tie the maker in with some other lighting options to create a fire on and low lighting environment of an IFTTT trigger. I was thinking of tying in with our Nest using IFTTT but am not sure I want the fire place coming on whenever the temperature drops regardless of time of day. Might be better to just set it on a schedule to come on between 8-10 pm in the evenings during the winter.
Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the thread...it was a real inspiration to put my maker to some good use finally!
01-29-2015 08:05 PM
So let me get this straight. I have a gas fireplace that has a traditional off/on toggle switch. It is a microvolt system that is not connected to any electriciy. You are using this switch with a "battery" and this works to turn your fireplace off and on by your cell phone or whatever you have your Wemo app placed into.? This replaces the toggle switch and I can set my lazy butt in the chair and not have to get up and manually turn off the toggle switch? This seems to have been a "holy grail" in z wave systems in the research I have done. How does it mount to the wall in place of the traditional on/off toggle switch?
01-30-2015 05:52 AM
You need to plug in the maker, I doubt it would run very long on a battery.
Emphasizing again this is better done by a qualified professional, right, no neutral wire required. Wire the maker's relay in parallel with or in place of the manual switch - one wire to each terminal.
03-06-2015 11:26 AM
Forgot to reply to this discussion - I did setup the WemoMaker in place of the fireplace switch. It's been working beautifully for several weeks now. The only thing I need to figure out now is to connect it to a temperature sensor and turn it on automatically based on temperature.
04-09-2016 06:35 PM