WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Fireplace Switch

Hi,

I'm planning to replace the fireplace switch with the WemoMaker and was wondering if any one has already done that?

If yes, do you have any suggestions?

I have a gas fireplace where the pilot light does not need to be on. I checked below the fireplace and have observed that it also has a pack of 4 AA batteries. When I turn the fireplace on, using the wall switch, I see the fireplace pilot light ignited with sparks, pilot light turns on, and then the rest of the fire place turns on.

Cheers

BK

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Fireplace Switch

Do you just want to control that switch wireless or do you want to use a thermostat to trigger the Maker Relay?

Example: To control the Fireplace with a thermostat and Maker.

Connect an old Honeywell round styel thermostat to the sensor side of the Maker.

Connect the wall switch wire leads to the relay side of the Maker. (verify voltage is within operating range of Maker)

Create a Maker rule in the WEMO app that opens the relay when the sensor is triggererd until it is no longer triggered.

This will turn the fireplace on until your desired temperature is reached.

-G
WEMO Maker Inventor

I like your idea... but the intent is to use just as a wireless switch Smiley Happy

WEMO Maker Inventor

Cool, then just omit the sensor side input and don't create the rule. Is the wall switch 110V?

-G
WEMO Maker Inventor

Have to check if it is 110V switch or a low voltage switch. Will check later tonight and post back. Thanks
WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

Any movement on this? I'm very interested in seeing if this can work.

-G
Community Manager

I'd like to see this one in action too. Hope you could share some pictures/video. Smiley Happy

Community Manager | PC Gamer | Mountain Biker
WEMO Maker Inventor

It is a bit of an alarming way to sign off: "I'll check to see if it's low voltage tonight" and we never hear from him again!  Gulp!

Seriously, the fireplaces I've seen that switch is indeed low voltage.  The pilot heats a sensor that then generates current to keep the main valve open.  Turn off the switch or have the pilot go out and the main valve stays shut.

I haven't looked at any of those posh self starting ones though but the batteries are a pretty good hint too.

A heat sensor could be used as well.  Sounds like an excellent job for the WemoMaker relay.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thanks for the concern Smiley LOL

I'm very much here...but have been out due to work and have not been able to get to this project.

Will get back to this group by next week...

Gas fireplace wall switches are normally low voltage. Usually 3 to 5 volts.

So the Wemo Maker should work.