WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Fireplace Switch

Stove WEMO Control.jpg 

I have a freestanding natural gas stove that is controlled by a millivolt mechanical thermostat.  It is used for supplementary heating in our family room as well as enhancing the decor of the room.  Since the stove is millivolt activated from its pilot light, it also serves as a backup heating source during a power failure.  It was great having it available during the 5 day blackout following hurricane Sandy a few years ago.

One problem is that we sometimes forget to lower the thermostat when we retire for the evening and we find our vacant family room nicely heated in the morning.  Since I have a WEMO Maker available after replacing my garage door opener, I decided to use it to control the gas stove by adding another mechanical thermostat to allow IFTTT and Amazon Echo control to the stove.  The above diagram shows how it will be connected and the IFTTT and Alexa commands I have added to my IFTTT account.  

I think a cheaper way to do this is using a Wemo Switch combined with a 5 vdc transformer (wall wart) and a relay. The Wemo Switch toggles the 5 vdc souce, which in turn toggles the relay controling the fireplace circuit.

This also has the added benefit of integrating directly with Amazon Echo.

Then again, is the Wemo Maker just a relay integrated with a Wemo Switch?

I just installed a Wemo Maker on my fireplace using pretty much the same steps as y2kcurt, which removes the need for a lightswitch plugged into the sensor. I agree that it's pretty ugly having the Wemo Maker mounted on the wall with the USB cord hanging down from it. I fixed that by hanging a ukulele that hides the switch from view, but keeps it easily accessible.

I'm replying into this long-dormant thread to note a downside of this implementation, which is not being able to turn on the fireplace in the event of a power outage (since the Wemo Maker requires power). However, there are two relatively easy workarounds:

1. Add a small backup switch in parallel to the Wemo Maker (ideally, below the fireplace grate)
  2. Plug the Wemo Maker into a USB power pack during the outage so that the on/off switch can be used, or always run it through an uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

My Wemo Maker is mounted conveniently above my networking cabinet so I'll likely add an inexpensive UPS that can also keep my network going for a few hours.

Hello, what hardware make/model did you use for the transformer and relay? Wall wart mean Walmart?

Thanks!

I have a wemo maker that I want to integrate into my gas insert. I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out.

The gas insert has a low voltage switch, that has two wires connected to it.
I'd like to connect the wemo maker in a way that allows me to continue using the switch.

I think I could easily just disable the existing switch and connect the two wires directly into the gas insert. But I'd rather not lose the physical switch.

To keep it, should I wire it:
1) with one wire going from the gas insert to existing switch, and another from the switch to the wemo maker?
2) or, with both wires of the switch going into the relay, along with the wires from the insert?

Thanks!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Generally (a schematic is needed to be sure) you'd wire the relay in parallel to the physical switch.  That is, run two wires, one wire from each side of the relay to each wire from the switch.  Then you could use either to turn it on, but both the switch and the relay need to be off to turn it off.  

The other option is to wire the relay in series - interrupt one of the switch wires and run it into one side of the relay, out the other side to the original switch connection.  In this case both the switch and the maker relay need to be on to turn the fireplace on, either will turn it off.

OK thanks. That is really helpful!

I've just recently done this with a similar gas fireplace.  What I did was under the fireplace, I disconnected the two wires from the wall switch and connected 1 of them to the "S" terminal and the other to the "-" terminal.  Next I ran the same type of low voltage wire from the wemo maker relay terminals to the wires that the switch was formerly connected to. The last step is to create two rules in the wemo app.  The first rule is to say if the sensor is tripped, turn on the wemo maker and do not turn off.  The second rule is to say if the sensor status is not tripped, turn the wemo maker off. This ensures that you can control the maker wirelessly while maintaining full functionality of the wall switch. I had a hard time finding any instructions so thought I'd share. Hope this helps. 

@Nathanw So the existing wall switch is triggering the wemo sensor?? I had never considered that a possiblity, and I'm not quite sure how that works TBH.

[ Edited ]

@zacsmith Yes, the wall switch triggers the sensor.  I had never considered it either but after reading into what sensors actually do, a condition is detected by the sensor and it basically closes the circuit between the "S" terminal and the "-" terminal. Before connecting the switch, I tested it by just taking a small piece of wire and touching one end to the "S" and the other to the "-". You'll see that as long as that contact is there, the wemo app will report that the sensor is tripped. Once I saw that, and figured out how to create the rules, I added the switch and it worked perfectly. Keeping the wall switch functional was mandatory for me as I wanted to be able to quickly turn the fireplace off using the switch if necessary. Also, my wife is not as in love with all this home automation stuff as I am. :-)

Edit: There is a very minor flaw with this but I don't consider it to be that big a deal.  If the Switch is set to off, and you turn the fireplace on with the wemo, in order to turn it off with the switch, you have to flip it to the on position and then back to the off position. This triggers the rule that says, if the sensor is not tripped, turn the fireplace off. And of course, a similar situation happens if you turn the fireplace on with the switch and off with the maker, in order to turn the fireplace on with the switch again, you have to flip it to the off position then back to the on position.  I consider this to be insignificant, but wanted to be accurate since it doesn't technically work "perfectly".