WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Firmware update 2-6-2018: KRACK and DNS mask vulnerability fixes

KRACK and DNS mask vulnerability fixes have been implemented into each core Wemo device firmware. Wemo Mini and Dimmer have one small additional fix/enhancement for setup which allows for an easier transition from the Wemo AP to the router AP during setup.

Mini and Dimmer Firmware version: 2.00.11036

Core products (Switch, Sensor, Insight, Light Switch, LED-Link) firmware version: 2.00.11054

http://community.wemo.com/t5/News-and-Announcements/KRACK-Vulnerability-UPDATE/m-p/41264#M6

Community Manager | PC Gamer | Mountain Biker

Re: Firmware update 2-6-2018: KRACK and DNS mask vulnerability fixes

Why did this take six months?

And it broke HomeKit!!!

I installed it on my 2 wall switches and 1 Dimmer connected to Apple’s HomeKit via the Wemo Bridge... and HomeKit can no longer see any of my devices. I was talking to WemoSupport in my email and have heard nothing.

Did anyone do any regression testing at all? Do you actually do this on real life setups????

A big miss and fail. You’d better fix this soon or I’m getting my money back.

Mine are working now and process was difficult and painful. There’s a lack of feedback and what to expect that gave the impression that it failed or there were issues.

Works perfectly. Easy setup & install s a breeze on my 8Wl Wemos.

Hi,

I have a huge wemo infrastructure, 56 light switches and insights and some makers in my home and backyard observatory.  This update seems to have made almost all of my wemos inaccessible from the ios or andriod apps, or command line.  Almost all of my automation and remote control is not working.  If I look at them in the andriod wemo home app, most are red, with connection failed messages, the few that are not red, toggle from looking normal to red with a connection error if you try and toggle them on or off.  In the ios app that I use even more, almost all are grayed out and I can't get them to come back no matter how many times I klil the app.  I also do webservices calls to the insights and makers I have in the observatory via curl or other public domain pearl script inside shell scripts to control my observatory,  This is now completly non-functional as most of the insights are going offline and online, and even a couple of makers are offline that I didn't think even got this fiirmware update.  I started this update at 3PM EST, it is now 9:12PM EST.  I have no remote control ablitiy period.
Most wemos appear happy visually looking at them, I have tried resetting them but that didn't help.  I have not tried resetting to factory defaults, to do that would be a huge effort.  I have not seen a FW update mess me up so bad like this for years.  I am generally very happy and well invested in wemos.

Any insight anyone can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I have to say that I was in the same boat.  It was painful and I have only 3 wall switches (2 regular and 1 dimmer).  I worked on this for 4 hours.  I reset them to factory settings, restartedmy network, released and renewed all IP's, remove static IP assignments, un-installed the Wemo app, restarted my iPhone, reset my Wemo Bridge.  I was able to see 1 switch before I went to bed.  Then, the next day, 2 wall switches were working.  I had to reconnect the dimmer a few times and restart my iPhone, but it finally connected.  This was an effort of 4 to 6 hours for 3 switches. 

As I told whoever the person is that says to email me (and the person who answers gives you only a trite sorry for your trouble and we appreciate your understanding... very useless), this is a horrible updatge for many reasons... it did a blanket update of all switches at the saame time with no control over which switch to update.  I suspect that there was an update of the Wemo Brdige, but that is a mystery box that has no realy status or indication of anything going on.  

So, yes, but not to the degree you had.  I did have a similar issue with the iHome wall switches that had a broken firmware and suddently desupported the iSP5 smart plugs when they only supported the iSP6 and iSP8 smart plugs.  I literally had to force a connection onto the network and try to force a reset and a connection that took days before I was able to get 4 of them working.  They had a horrible firmware update pretty much ruined them.  They make my home network unstable if I connect more than 4 or 5 of them.  I have 4 smart plugs I just cannot use.  Sad really. 

I am in the market and looking for new smart plugs and thought of getting the Wemo ones (Wemo Mini), but I am very  nervous to invest in them.  I just invested $250 in my few Wemo pieces of hardware.

In contrast, my Hue smart bulbs have been virtually flawless.  I have had very little trouble so far, so I am very pleased with them.  

I say all of this to maybe say give it a day or 2.  Maybe, Wemo's firmware takes a few hours or a few days to work again.  I am not sure why, but it may be worth trying.  Also, I would make sure your app can connect to some of the switches, plugs, etc. you have now.  Maybe they need time to bubble and perculate.  

I have to agree with another post from another person that the suggestion that you do a full hard reset of your hardware, bridge, and app is ridiculous.  I get you may need to make some radical changes, but this felt like an alpha release and not even a stable beta.  If this was first production introduction, the whole line would be terminated, as they would build no client base.  

I hope you get it figured out and I hope whoever is in charge of development and product release recosiders their process.  Mabye, they need to invest in a true IT PM or true IT software development architect who can see the whole SDL.

Hi Tom,

Just curious how do you name 56 WeMo devices so they are unique, yet easy to remember?

My collection is growing and is shared between two different houses.

I'm having trouble coming up with reasonable names for things.

Thanks,

Howard

Hi,

Thank you!  The thought of resetting each one to defaults and starting from scratch kills me.  I hope it doesn't come to that.  If it is only takes a couple of days for this to work itself out, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

I just name them for what they are.  in a room like my family room, I have multiple light switches and insight plugs: Familyrroom Ceiling Fans, Familyroom Torche Light, Familyroom Desk, Familyroom sofa.  To make it even nicer, I have a group in my Amazon Echo called Television room that has all the familyroom wemos in it so I can say: Alexa, turn television room on. and it will turn everything on.  Same for other rooms, I start with the room name and then the light name.  Most rooms do not have multiple wemos.  My observatory, has 1 light switch and 23 insight switches, the all start with POD_ and have no spaces in the names so that I can programatically find everything to do with the obs starts with POD_

I also have hue lights everywhere, I went all in years ago when they came out around the same time that wemos came out.  Things need to be named uniquely across them and the wemos if you want voice control to work right too.  I love the hue bulbs, never an issue, always worked perfectly.  The wemos on the other hand used to turn themselves on and off when I first got them.  They used to run real hot too, especially the switches.  FW updates used to mess me up sometimes in the begining, but not for years.  They have evolved to be stable reliable things.  I hope they just need time and will work themselves back into existance automagically.  They seem to be struggling, they look like they come online and then go offline a second or 2 later.

Also, I swear, since I did this FW update, it seems like I have to push the decora light switches harder or longer to turn them on, and only on, not off.  weird right?

Thanks,

Tom