WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help -- WeMo light switch turns off immediately

I installed the WeMo light switch as instructed -- connected the blacks to black wires, the white to white, and the green to ground. When I press the button, the light turns on for a fraction of a second and then immediately turns back off again. I am positive that this is not a three-way switch, which I know is associated with this problem. Does anyone have other ideas of what might be wrong?

Re: Help -- WeMo light switch turns off immediately

Hi, mikiheller. Base on how you've described the situation, this might have something to do with how you've connected the wires. If you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with electrical work, we recommend that you contact a professional electrician for further assistance. You may also refer to this link as your guide or watch this video for more info.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

I have the same issue. Checked the wiring again, same behavior, light turns ON for a fraction of a second and turns OFF. Electrician was not able to resolved

Yeah, I don't think it's a wiring problem -- I double and triple checked, and had someone else look at it as well. This seems to be a common problem with this light switch, but I'd love to figure out a solution rather than return it. :-/

WEMO Maker Inventor

What do the LEDs in the switch when the relay turns off?

If the LED stays off then it may be a defective switch.

If the LED turns on (green I think), then starts flashing yellow afer a few seconds and then back to green it's a wiring problem - the switch has lost power and is restarting.

I don't think instructions call it out, but on mine a least there was a difference between the black wires where they attach to the switch - a barely visible lightening bolt on the line in, the other being for the load.  Not sure what happens if they're wired the other way around.

Allow us to assist you with this matter, mynam. Has it been like that ever since you've installed the light switch or was this working fine before? Have you already tried to restart or restore it? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

I'm having the same issue. The light comes on for a second and then cuts off. The previous switch worked without any issues before. 

Just got mine to work... it was a neutral wiring issue. I simply added the netural wire from the switch to the white wire nut. Everything works fine now.

Thank you for sharing your input, lespaulist. This will help other users who are experiencing the same challenge with the WEMO Light Switch. Kudos! Smiley Wink

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

MikeP, I tried switching the black wires but got the same result. The LED does come on and flash green and yellow. I can't identify the source of the wiring problem -- I see below that someone got theirs to work by hooking the white up to neutral, but mine was already connected that way. Any other ideas?