WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Help -- WeMo light switch turns off immediately

Your switch might be wired like the 2nd diagram here rather than the 1st.

Yes! MikeP, that's actually consistent with the way the wiring looks in there. Is there a solution for this situation?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep - hire an electrician Smiley Happy.  Or figure out which line is hot, neutral, and load (it should be clear from the diagram), and hook it up appropriately rather than just using the wire colors as directed by belkin's instructions. I'm not a certified electrician it's not appropriate for me to give exact guidance, but I think it's reasonably easy to sort.

I had the same problem after I ran a separate neutral for the switch. You might have solved it by now, but the problem with mine was that whoever wired the house ran the power to the light first, then put the switch on the neutral leg. So the WeMo was drawing enough current through the filament of the light, but would get a voltage drop when the light was switched on, and reboot. You just need to switch the wires so that the power goes to the switch first, then the light. Consult an electrician if you don't have experience with this

Lespaulist - if you connected the neutral (ground) to the white, where did you connect the white wire from the switch?

I did the same, conecte the wires as shown in the installation instructions with 2 minor exceptions that I believe caused this problem and I was just about ready to return it back to Lowes for a refund.

1. I did not turn off the power from the braker.
2. I just connected black to black without knowing which one was load and live.
Just before giving up, I decided to go bavk, disconnect Wemo from the box and start all over again.

1. I placed a volt meter to the black wires to see which ones were load and live.
2. I turned off the circuit braker.
3. Reattached Wemo as instructed.
4. Turned power back on and, walla, it worked.

What bothers me is the poor support from Wemo and how the leave the support to the community to figure out issues. It should not be thus way.

You must have done something else - reversing the black wires would have no effect, hence Belkin does not specify which way around to connect them!

Hey everyone, wanted to be a little more helpful on this. What I had to do, was join all my neutral wires together, including the neutral wire from the Belkin switch. Once those were all tied together, worked like a charm.

I am having the same issue, semi light switch resets itself after turning it on. The light will flash on for a split second before turning off.
This is my 8th WeMo light switch that I've installed and it is the only one having this issue. I tried the same switch at a different location and the switch works.

I wired the connections just like all the other ones. Blacks to blacks, white to neutral and ground to copper ground wire.

There is a red cable that is capped off, however there are no other switches that control this set of lights. It is not a 3 way.

Any ideas?
WEMO Maker Inventor

Same solution as described earlier.  There's enough current to run the electronics as long as the relay is open.  As soon as it's closed the wemo loses power, let's the relay open, regains power, and reboots.

Look for loose wires esp incoming and neutral, or whether it's a "power through load" circuit.  It could be wired backwards, there's a tiny lightening bolt on switch for the black wire that should have power in.