WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Help -- WeMo light switch turns off immediately

FYI-- wemo light switches do not work on 3-way switches. You have to have an electrician disable one of the 2 wall switches. Then you can make the one wall switch work with wemo. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

I think the OPs problem was different from this.  But it is important to note that a proper electrician will NOT disable the 2nd switch in a 3-way circuit as it's a code (safety) violation in most locations.  It's completely unnecessary in any case:  3-way switches.

mikiheller, did you ever get this fixed? I just got a WeMo light switch and have the same problem -- when I turned it on, the lights turned on for a split second, then turned off immediately, and the WeMo light switch appeared to reset itself with a blinking green/amber light. Everything is wired correctly. WeMo support was not very helpful and told me to get an electrician to evaluate the wiring. Did an electrician ever find the problem with your wiring?

Thanks,

Steven

WEMO Maker Inventor

Almost certainly a wiring problem.  If you're convinced the wiring is correct, in this (perhaps rare?) case wemo support is correct about finding an electrician.  You might suspect a defective wemo but it's unlikely.

If you try to sort it yourself you may want to use a meter.  First thing to check is whether it's "power through fixture" wiring - power will be coming in on the WHITE and out through the black (the white wire should have some black tape or other mark on it if it's been done right).  If you don't have another neutral wire available in that box the wemo won't work there.