WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How Wemo insight turn on my air conditioner remotely?

I connect my air conditioner power to Wemo insights, after that I connect Wemo to the wall outlets. All setting done. I can not turn on my air conditioner from Wemo app, I still need to turn my air conditioner on by power on button on my air conditioner panel, but I can set up the timer off for my air conditioner. I would like to have a ability to turn my air conditioner remotely before I got home, I already have 8 Wemo devices. All of them work as I expected. Please tell me what I did wrong.

Re: How Wemo insight turn on my air conditioner remotely?

Anyone know this situation, please advice, thanks
WEMO Maker Inventor

I would think the air conditioner switch needs to be pressed to start it.  Otherwise it would start up after a power outage too.

You can check by removing the wemo.  If you plug in the air conditioner to the wall and it doesn't start without the switch that's the reason.  If it does start you may be exceeding the power allowed by the insight - though I don't know if the insight incorporates a power limiter.

Thanks MikeP, I did exactly what your advice, my air conditioner can not start without the press of the power switch, I saw Belkin advertising Wemo insight switch, that why I bought this. I am so disappointed. Thanks again for your help.
Highlighted
Community Manager

The WEMO Switch does not replace a digital power switch.  It will work with heaters and air conditioners etc...

Basic function of WEMO is Let power go through socket (ON) or Do not let power go through socket (OFF).  It is an interrupt between your device and the power outlet akin to pulling the plug from the outlet.

Air conditioners have 2 types of switches (usually).

1. Mechanical switch:  ON or OFF mechanically with a physical switch.  In ON position it will always be on until you unplug unit or you turn the switch OFF.  
  2. Digital Switch:  Defaults to OFF and is not mechanical.  If you cut power it will turn off.  Applying power back it will stay off until you press the on button.

WEMO can "control" a mechanical switch device because it stays in whatever state you last put the switch in.  So if you set the air conditioner to ON and turn the WEMO on the air conditioner will function.  Turn the WEMO off cuts power from the air conditioner so it stays off until you turn the WEMO back on and give it power again.

So basically if your air conditioner controls looks like this image i found on google you should be good to go.

window-type-air-conditioner757.jpg

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

Thank Robert, my air conditioner have a digital switch like you explained. So I am out of luck, thanks for your support.

Hi Robert,

Hope you don't mind if i jump in.

I had a Wemo and someone told me it is not safe to have a Wemo for high voltage eletronic devices such as air-con.

My air-con is only 1HP which consuming around 920W.

I'm so desperate about it and it would be great if I can switch it on before I got home.

Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Hi! The maximum power capacity of WeMo is 15 Amps/1800 Watts at 110 Volts in the U.S. Is should work with the switch but just make sure that the airconditioner has a mechanical switch as described by Robert.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Note that some air conditioners have an "auto restart after power failure" feature (mine does).  This feature allows your ac to power back on after a power failure and resume cooling at the last settings (fan speed and temp).  If your ac has this feature, the WEMOemo Insight Switch should work.  Be sure to press the ac power switch on.  Thereafter, only control the ac on off function by the WEMO app or by pressing the on off button on the WEMO switch.  Do not turn the ac off by its power swiitch as WEMO won't be able to turn the ac back on again by itself.  Hope this helps.

I may sound too techie but have you tried to use the "wemo make it" the one that is just a wireless switch for low voltage the only thing you gotta do in theory is to solder positive and negative from the button switch of you AC to and connect those to your wemo that way your "wemo make it" will control power on and off with any air conditioning unit