WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
qr

How to WEMO something distant?

Hi,

Not so sure if this a WEMO question or a networking question or both, but here's what I'm trying to do:

We have a water pump on part of our property that is at quite a distance from our home.  We would love to be able to put this pump on a WEMO switch (we are using a WEMO switch within the home already and it's been very helpful).  The problem is that we have Internet in the home, but not at the pump.  What's the best way to enable us to control the pump using WEMO?  Here's some options we've thought about:

1. Using a directional antenna, beam internet from the house down to the pump station.  At the pump station, we would have an antenna to receive the signal and then hook that to a wireless router.  Hop the WEMO onto that router and then the LAN from the house would be extended remotely via the antenna.
  2. Use some sort of hot spot to connect to the cell network.  Hook a router to the hotspot and a wemo onto that router.  Not sure if then that wemo would be visible in the wemo app with other wemo devices?  (Not sure how it goes about collating devices within the app)
  3. Use some sort of manual setup.  We've evaluated this option, but it'd be expensive to run a cable out there.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this.  We're still thinking about what the best setup might be, and we will probably end up replicating this at different places on our property for other things as well, so we sincerely appreciate the help!

Re: How to WEMO something distant?

Hi qr

Take a look at my "How did you WeMo that?" post placed, long, long ago...

http://community.wemo.com/t5/How-Did-You-WEMO-That/My-Garden-Fully-WeMoed/m-p/11058

Regards

Pete

Is it an electric pump?  If so could you use internet over the mains to extend the wifi to next to the pump?

qr

Thanks Pete.  Sounds like you've got an impressive setup.

If I read your post right, it looks like you used a wire to connect remotely.  Right now we were hoping to do it without running an additional wire, but if we end up going the wired route, will definitely look into it more.  Thanks!

qr

Thanks chelspeed,

Yes, it is an electric pump.  That's a great idea to use the internets over the mains.  Didn't know about that!  I did a bit of research and most of the commercially available devices to enable this functionality seem like they wouldn't work for the range we need.  The pump is at a distance of about a mile away.  

Hi qr

Yes the connection is via wire, but I'm using low voltage telephone cable which is very cheap, and doesn't need the protection of a conduit, and can be hidden easily in the garden. Having only 5 volts passing through it, it is of course quite safe and should it become damaged or weather-worn, it is easy to replace. If you want to do a better job, you  can thread it through an ordinary garden water hose and bury it, but remember where it is so you don't cut it with your spade when digging the garden!

If you go ahead, any 5 volt relays you need can be got from eBay, but be sure to get ones with contacts that can switch the mains and can handle the current required by your appliances. Also, utility meter boxes make excellent outdoor cabinets and they're not too dear either.

chelspeed has suggested WiFi over mains as a solution. That's certainly worth investigating.

Regards

Pete

Highlighted

Hi qr

I've just read your reply to chelspeed. A mile distant! Rather a long cable-run. Perhaps cable is not the answer. In any case the cable resistance a would be too great at 5 volts to operate a relay at a mile away.

Regards

Pete