WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to find firmware version

I have 3 WEMO light switches installed and working, and can control via Wemo App and Alexa.  How can I tell from the app what the firmware version is for the different switches?  How can I tell from the App what version of the App I have?  How can I tell from the box what model switch I have?

Thanks.

Re: How to find firmware version

@dickey38 wrote:

I have 3 WEMO light switches installed and working, and can control via Wemo App and Alexa.  How can I tell from the app what the firmware version is for the different switches?  How can I tell from the App what version of the App I have?  How can I tell from the box what model switch I have?

Thanks.

Open the WeMo app and hit the "more..." button on the bottom toolbar on the right (assuming iOS).  Then, go to "Hardware Information" and you will see all your devices.  Tapping them will reveal a page that includes the firmware the device is running along with its model information.

@dickey38

Hi there! @airmandan is correct. Also, when a firmware update is available for your Wemo devices, the Wemo App will automatically prompt you for a firmware upgrade and to which device will it be available. It is important that you update the firmware of your Wemo devices to ensure proper functionality. Since they are identical units, one prompt it will update all 3 of them. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

Thank you all for your help.  With this info I was able to find the equivalent procedure on my Android phone. I thought others might be interested in how this works on Android, so am providing info below.

For Android 7.0 when wemo loads it looks for devices and displays them in a list.  To find firmware version numbers I did the following from this page:

click settings (gear icon at top right) > "More" window

select "settings & about" in the "More" window > 'Settings and About" window

select "hardware info" in the 'Settings and About" window

A list of devices with Firmware version is now displayed.  Select one of these to see Mac Address, etc.

---------------

Having done the above I found that 2 of my switches has firmware version WEMO_WW_2000.10937.PVT-OWRT-LS

but the third has version WEMO_WW_2000.10062.PVT-OWRT-LS, which I assume is out of date.

So I have a couple more questions:

How can I find the latest version, so I can tell if any of my switches are actually up to date?

If I go ahead with a firmware update, will server try to update all switches, even those that are already up to date?

I am a little leary about just plowing ahead with a firmware update, as in the past it has seemed to take many hours and the feedback during this process was nil.  I also see a lot of posts suggesting that firmware updates are fraught with problems.

Thanks for your insights.

On iOS, if you go to the iOS Settings app and go to the WeMo app in the list, there is a toggle to force the app to check for a firmware update on next launch. Perhaps a similar feature exists on Android? If not, the other known way to force a firmware check is to turn remote access off and back on again. From personal experience, I’d avoid this approach if you can, because every time I do this my list of remote access devices duplicates itself and there’s no way to delete an authorized remote access device once it’s in the list. I think my iPad shows up in there four times now.

I will admit much of the noise about firmware update issues has been generated by me. These concerns are primarily relational to the WeMo Link and smart LED bulbs paired to it. This would not affect your light switch. You should be safe to update that, and the update will only run for devices that need it (such as your out-of-date device).

If you can’t get the app to show the update, reference the light switch documentation and use either the reset or restore button (one just turns it off and on again, and one reverts it to factory default, and I don’t remember which is which). Getting it to rejoin your WiFi may assist in prompting the update notification.
Highlighted

Thank you airmandan.

I may have unclear -- I DO have a link for a firmware update on my Android.  Just been a little fearful to use it.  I did that several months ago during install of my first switches.  As I recall, the screen displayed "Updating" for the better part of a day.  I had no idea whether the software was hung or really taking that much time.  Anyway eventually I tried uninstall/reinstall of the app and reset of the switches, and they seemed to work OK.

I guess I will try that again as soon as I get the courage to do so.

Thanks again.