WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Introductions

Hi Vince:  I'm hoping the new wemo product will work for me.  I'd like to be able to turn on one passive infrared sensor (hard wired) to use as a house alarm. When the  infrared sensor  is tripped it turns on a loud low voltage dynamic siren.  When this happens I would like to get an e-mail telling me the siren is on.  I would like to be able to shut siren off and reset infrared sensor. Will the new product from WEmo  work for me???  thanks, danny

Hi Danny! Make sure that the sensor has voltage not higher than 5 DC at 100 mA max. If you would like to receive email notifications, you can create a recipe using IFTTT app.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Irish_S wrote:

Hi Danny! Make sure that the sensor has voltage not higher than 5 DC at 100 mA max. If you would like to receive email notifications, you can create a recipe using IFTTT app.

You're conflating the sourcing current from the Maker + output with the maximum voltage on the S input.  And you should probably mention that the sensor must be able to sink 1ma at 0V as well.

The correct answer is "your sensor must comply with the technical specs provided at the beginning of this very topic, as must any load you apply to the relay".  It's probably better to reference the documented specs rather than try to answer on your own.

It's probably possible but it will take a basic understanding of electronics and a good understanding of how your sensor works as some sensors need to have their output conditioned.  You'd use the sensor into the maker to trigger the relay, and remotely you would reset the relay.  I've heard mixed reviews on how well the email feature works.

Community Manager

Danny, thank you for your interest in our WEMO Maker product.

As MikeP mentioned, it is better to check the specs of the sensor(s) you would like to use. Below are some helpful topics pinned in this board to help guide you along the way.

http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Maker/WeMo-Maker-Technical-Specifications/m-p/1748#U1748

http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Maker/Available-Sensors/td-p/1658

You may also post a new thread about the setup you wish to achieve and our WEMO experts here can surely share their knowledge on how to make it work.

Happy WEMO'ing! Smiley Happy

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thanks, those are the ones.  This thread: http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Maker/Sensor-Fix-Sensor-not-triggering-the-WeMo-Maker-Try-the/... might help with sorting the sensor but it's a long read.

Speaking of that, my measurements of my Maker were that it can only source about 50ma of current at 5V rather than the 100ma in the spec - have you folks at Belkin had a chance to re-verify the output current?

It important as our discussions here often come back to using an external 5V relay to either condition the sensor signal to trigger the Maker "S", or as a way to increase load that can be handled by the Maker's output relay.  In theory one could power such a relay from the Maker "+" since they typically need about 70ma.  But a few of use have found that it doesn't work as the + terminal drops out when the relay triggers.  This would have an impact on any sensor that uses a lot of power too.  Anyone going down that route may need a way to provide additional power, and I'd be a bit annoyed if I needed to change a design because the Maker specs were wrong.

Check with the manufacture.

Hello everyone!

I am a retired since TEACHER and a retired Farmer.

Does anyone know to download a manual for router?

THANKS,

Kenneth Sjogren

Hi Vince,

We've been looking a long time for a way to reduce the power consuption of my hvac while on standby mode that is connect directly to a circuit breaker. I've looked for Wireless circuit breakers with no luck ....then I stumbled on Wemo Maker. I don't know much of electronics but ...Can I use Wemo Make to power up my HVAC ? Here are the hvac specs

IMG_3771.JPG

WEMO Maker Inventor

I'm not sure how much help belkin will be; they haven't validated their specs on the Maker and it's been over a year since I reported them as questionable.

You can't use the maker directly with the AC.  So you'll need to connect the Maker to an external relay board, and cut into the AC cord to connect it to the external relay.  This'll be a challenge (and risky!) if you're not experienced with electricity.

That panel doesn't show standby power for the AC, but I understand it to typically be 1-5W.

A kWhr is usually around $0.20 or less depending on time of day. At say $80 for the maker plus the relay board, the maker would pay for itself after $80 / 0.20 * 1000 = 400000 (at 1W) to 80000 (at 5W) standby hours.  If my math is correct it's at least 5 years and perhaps more than 25 years before you break even assuming 100% standby mode and the Maker doesn't draw any power (it does).

Of course YMMV.

Good morning Daglawson

i have Wemo custom app interface developed using SDK for IPhone as well as Android phone. It does not turn ON and OFF Wemo light switch all the time. I am not sure it is app problem or Hardware problem? My Wemo app turn ON and OFF Wemo switch. Based on numbers of OFF and ON my light does color changing schemes. All intelligence is build,on my LED light bulb.

Now Wemo does not support SDK and suggest to use Universal Plug and Play. I am not sure how to use UPnP. 

I will be happy to work with free lancer who know this well.

Thank you,