WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Light switch, 1 white, 1 black, and one green

/I'm trying to install a WeMo light switch but in any of the single switch connetions, they only have 1 black, 1 white, and one green wire. I'm not sure if this configuration will work. I tried connecting both black wires from the WeMo switch to the single black wire in the wall and that didn't work, I also tried connecting the black wire to a single black wire on the WeMo to no success. Any ideas?

Re: Light switch, 1 white, 1 black, and one green

Hi, bones50502001. You can follow the steps on this video or article to install the switch. However, if you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the installation, we suggest contacting a professional electrician.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks for the info, but I have already reviewed this info. However, i see the problem. I was attempting to replace a wall switch that control an outlet, not light switch. While the outlet has a light plugged in, I guess I need a WeMo outlet, not switch or just buy a connected blub and control the lights that way. Too bad, I was really hoping to replace a few on my wall switches I have im house, but I guess that's not possible.  

So I got the WeMo switch working today. I search this forum and found a post that detailed how to make this work. Essentailly in my situation the wall switch that controls a power outlet, since there re only the wires present, black, white, and ground, both the white and black wire are hot wires. The wall switch is used to complete the circut powering the power outlet. These are the steps I followed

1. Black wire from the wall switch to WeMo black wire

2. White wire from the wall switch to WeMo switch black wire (lightening bolt)

3. Connect both the WeMo white Neutral wire and ground wire together to the copper ground wire

Everything seems to be working perfectly

This helped me connect my Wemo Light Switch and remove the flickering I was getting with the swtich. Thanks!!

Maybe I'm wrong but this configuration equate to using the ground as neutral. I don't think you should do that.

Risk of fire, electrical shock. Never connect the neutral to the ground. Documenting the fact that you did it online is also probably unwise in event of insurance claims

Hi Simsimma, Hi Bones

Yes, using the ground wire as a neutral return is a very dangerous practice. It will often work, but there are serious dangers arising not just at the switch, but all around the house.

See my post on this thread:

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/WeMo-Light-Switch-with-two-wires/td-p/36763/page/2

Regards

Pete

thanks for the correction, was not aware of the post on neutral to ground. I would suggest we ask the moderators to remove the "correct" answer from this question as Google found it when searching what to do about flickering lights. 

I have a bank of 3 switches that have all the nuetrals tied together. Originally I only had one wemo switch and the light was flickering, I've since installed a wemo dimmer and another switch to that bank so will see if connecting the neutrals will cause any issues. All are working right now when tying the green and whites together.