WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ro

Lights flickering with WEMO dimmer

I have four 14W LED lights connected to my dimmer and they flicker like crazy (would make anyone have a seizure). At random moments - very few and far in between - they turn on fine, but 99% of the time I immediately have to shut them off because it's unbearable. I have reset the dimmer to factory settings more times than I could count and same for the setup process. I've tried setting the dimmer up for all kinds of lightbulbs, and have tried doing all the tests to avoid flickering without results. I'm at a loss here and don't know what else to try. I have three WEMO switches (not dimmers) set up with the same type of lights and have absolutely no problem there. Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on what's going on here?

Re: Lights flickering with WEMO dimmer

Hello Ro

Forgive me if I'm stating the very obvious, but what you're describing is a characteristic of using non-dimmable LED bulbs on a dimmer switch. Are you using non-dimmable LED bulbs by any chance?

Regards

Pete

** Always kudo people who help you and mark their reply as the solution if they resolve your problem! **

@Ro

Did this work fine before? What's the exact make and model of your bulbs? PeterJameson may be right; To know the compatible bulbs for your Wemo Dimmer, refer to this link

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

I'm no electrician but had experienced similar flickering even when I had led dimmer switch with dimmable led bulbs when the led dimmer was set for some range less than 80% of full power.  

I think it it may be because there are other incandescent bulbs drawing more significant power on the same circuit breaker.  Change out the incandescants and maybe things will settle down.  I suspect it's because leds draw so little power, especially when set less than 80% of dimmable range, the incandescants may be reasonating and robbing the minimal power  demand of the leds making them unstable. But then I could be all wrong about it

Ro

[ Edited ]

They flicker even if all other lights in the same circuit are off. 

Ro

[ Edited ]

The lights are definitely dimmable. 

Hyperikon 5/6 Inch Dimmable LED Downlight, ENERGY STAR, 14W (75W Replacement), 4000K (Daylight White), CRI90+, Retrofit LED Recessed Lighting Fixture, LED Ceiling Light

@Ro:

For further isolation, have you tried using a different compatible bulb/s aside from this one that you're experiencing the issue with? We just want to make sure that it's not the bulbs before we can have this case endorsed to our 2nd level Support Team for further diagnosis.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support
Ro

Today I got lucky and there was no flickering when I turned on the lights, I proceded to turn on every single light on the same circuit to see if that had anything to do with it, and the lights remained flicker-free. I set up the app successfully after that (and turned off all the other lights), they didn't flicker for about half an hour... until they did. Nothing related to electricity or network changed when they started flickering. I'm completely clueless about what's going on. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Flickering when used with a dimmer is the exact symptom of using LED bulbs that are not dimmable.

I'm curious why you are certain they are dimmable, do you have the original packaging to confirm?  If so you may want to contact the manufacturer.  I (and I'm sure many others) are using dimmable LEDs with the wemo dimmer and do not experience flickering.

If not, one thought would be to remove all of the bulbs and temporarily use one specifically purchased as dimmable to confirm it's not a hardware problem with the dimmer itself (which would require service/replacement).

He posted a copy/paste of the product he's trying to use, which appears to be this doodad:

https://hyperikon.com/product/6-inch-led-downlight-14w/

Assuming the vendor specs are correct, it does appear to be a dimmable dumb bulb and should work.

If an analog dimmer worked fine on this circuit with these bulbs I'd lean towards a hardware fault with the WeMo or an egregious wiring error in this case. Maybe exposed wire longer than the caps and when the whole contraption was shoved back in the gang box the hot intermittently shorts to ground?