WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ro

Re: Lights flickering with WEMO dimmer

@MikeP

Like I said before, the lights I purchased are the Hyperikon 5/6 Inch Dimmable LED Downlight, ENERGY STAR, 14W (75W Replacement), 4000K (Daylight White), CRI90+, Retrofit LED Recessed Lighting Fixture, LED Ceiling Light (copy/pasted from where I purchased them). There are no complaints about flickering in the hundreds of reviews they have, and most mention their dimming capabilities... that is why I'm certain they are, in fact, dimmable. 

I will remove 3 of the four lights and see how the remaining light behaves, per your suggestion. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sorry guys, I didn't see that posting.  I did notice that the non-dimmable's are virtually indistinguishable from the dimmables. Ideally you're reading part numbers from the bulbs themselves vs the packaging or receipt.  It's probably rare but not unheard of for mistakes to be made in packaging or customers to swap and return...

I doubt it's a load problem as the LEDs draw far less than the 400W allowed maximum.  Non-dimmables flicker 'cause their power supplies drop out as the dimmer drops (or chops) the supply voltage.  If the flicker is around 60hz that's almost certainly the issue.  A slower waxing/waning would point to the dimmer (as that'd be a weird defect to affect multiple bulbs).

So I'd try a proven dimmable bulb (ideally an incandescent) 'cause if that flickers it's the dimmer.  If it doesn't then it's the LEDs.

Ro

I seem to have found where the problem lies, although I'm still somewhat baffled. 

I happen to live in a third-world country where power outages are fairly common. The few times the lights don't flicker happen to be while there's a power outage and the generator is on (I failed to notice this because I live in a high-rise and can't hear the generator). I have a UPS for my computer and other devices and it tells me how many volts are coming in: during outages it fluctuates between 119 and 120V (from the generator), but most of the time - blackouts last only a few minutes - that number is 123 or 124V. What baffles me is that these same lights work fine when they're not connected to a dimmer. I have no idea if anything can be done about this, I'm gonna hire an electrician and, hopefully, it can be fixed; otherwise, I'll have to replace the dimmer with a switch and live with the extremely bright lights. If any of you are electricians or do it as a hobby, I'd appreciate your input. Still, I'm very grateful to all of you for trying to help!

WEMO Maker Inventor

The dimmer is spec'd at 120VAC so 125V I'd think would work but that is out of spec.  Is it a regular sine wave from the line power and those are proper RMS values (vs peak)?  At 60Hz?

Maybe, if the line current is not running at 60Hz (a very few run 110 or 120 at 60) it could be resonance (a frequency beat causing flickering) with the LED's circuits when they're trying to dim.  And the genator works better 'cause it's running at 60Hz?  WAG,  it'd need the engineers who designed the circuitry for the dimmer and the bulbs to say for sure...

Hi there,

I'm having similar sintoms with my setup...everything works fine for a while and after a while, sometimes 5mins, other times after 15mins, etc...they start flickering like mad, the only way to stop is to push the dimmer up or switch off....I would also like to add they make quite a stronge buzzing when dimmed at ~40% and less....the annoying part is that the flickering seems to be completely random and I can't associate to any specifc event...any guidance to this problem would be much appretiated? I'm using the below let lights:

http://www.sunnylighting.com.au/led%20downlights/led%20residential%20downlight/ecogem/s9041-tc/produ...

...for context I've several Wemo switches(dimm and non-dimm) across my house, in terms of the dimm switchs, I've two diferent setups in terms of led lights, one with these led lights(above) that I'm having the problems and also some IKEA dimm led lights that I don't have any problems commected to a differ wemo dimm switch....I pretty much tried everything in terms of setup, reset, re-config, etc and no results....spent a buck load of cash on this dimmeable lights setup across the house and now I can't use them...not to mention my wife is killing me with my "smarts".... :-(

Expert

Hi, rsemedo. Let's have our Wemo Experts assist you further. Email us the summary of the workarounds you've tried at WemoCares@belkin.com together with your full name, phone number, community username, location (country/state), and the link to this community post for our reference.

Chris-21499
WEMO Technical Support

I am having the same exact problems with my WEMO dimmer that I recently bought and had professionally installed. I have four dimmable LED lights in the room. I live in New Jersey where outages are rare. All my other lights work fine in the house, including regular dimmers. The WEMO dimmer connected lights exhibit volatile behavior, sometimes working fine and other time flickering like a strobe light at a dance club. When they flicker, the light is not usable at all, it’s a very intense flicker, not at low levels of light but all dimmer levels. I have called the electrician in again to take a final look. Any advice on how to resolve this - highly appreciated.

@StanAlt

When this challenge happen, have you tried to manually turn On and Off the Dimmer? If so, does it help? Make sure that your device is running on the latest firmware. 

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

Our generator just kicked on due to power outage and both sets of lights controlled by two WeMo dimmers are flickering. The led light is flickering crazily and the other, which is a mix of incandescent and led, is also. Is there a fix for this?

[ Edited ]

Hi, notarobot. This is actually an isolated case since the bulbs used to work fine before the power outage. Reboot the dimmers and see if it makes any difference on the LED light on the units. If still acting the same thing, we suggest to reset your Wemo Dimmers, and re-configure all your bulbs again. If you already tried it and no changes at all, send us an e-mail at WemoCares@belkin.com with your contact info below so we can have our Escalation Engineers conduct a further diagnosis.

Full Name:

Phone Number:

Community Username:

Link to this Community Thread (for our reference):

We look forward to hearing from you.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support