WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mini plugs not staying connected

I have a total of four WEMO devices: Two light switches that have worked flawlessly since day one, being controlled by app, HomeKit, and Alexa with no issues, and two mini plugs that connect to the network with no issues and work fine, but within a day or two become unresponsive to Alexa and "not detected" in the app. Sometimes they'll show a flashing orange light, but most of the time the status LED indicates no problem (it's either white as the device is on, or it's off as the device is off). If I unplug the device and plug it back in, everything works fine again for another day or so. 

Things I've tried: 

• Various recommended channels for my 2.4Ghz network (1, 6, 11)
  • Moving the devices (one is located 8 feet from the access point)
  • Completely uninstalling the WEMO app from my phone, factory-resetting the device, reinstalling the app, re-setting up the device (unchecking the "remember network settings" flag)
  • Renaming the device and network

I've made sure that: 

• My 2.4Ghz SSID is not the same as my 5Ghz one
  • Using a network survey tool, I've made sure that there are no other 2.4Ghz networks on the same channel that are close by
  • There's plenty of room in my DHCP pool for all of the devices on my network

For the life of me, I can't get these things to stay on the network for more than a couple of days. 

Re: Mini plugs not staying connected

[ Edited ]

Hello vespa59

A couple of thoughts for you:

I had this trouble quite some time ago when I commissioned a new router. I found a remedy by setting my router's DHCP issued lease time to one week as opposed to "infinite" which was its default. In actual fact "infinite" was millions of seconds. I was drawn to this by a very old Andriod tablet I have on my WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting again about every 10 seconds and it was that I was trying to correct, but when I solved that problem my WeMos stablised too and haven't been a problem ever since.

I posted about it at the time and no-one came up with an explaination as to why it fixed the problem, but it might just help you and is certainly worth a try.

There is just one other thing that you might consider although it's a long-shot, and that is that microwave ovens operate at 2.4GHz. Right on the WiFi band. If I operate my microwave oven for about five minutes my WeMos do drop off the network and reconnect when the microwave goes off. All other devices are ok. I think it must be that WeMos are of particularly low WiFi power.

Regards

Pete

Try the 20Mhz channel width on 2.4 to see if it makes a difference as well. Not mixed 20/40 or 40 but just 20

Yep, I set that about a week ago when I changed the channel to 11, and it didn't make a difference. 

Just changed my DHCP lease from 1 day to 1 week. I'll see if that does anything. 

Can you ping these devices when they don't show up in the app?

You may want to assign them a static IP with DHCP reservation as well

If you know IP you can see if online if you get XML going to one of these links on your local network.

http://IP_Address:49152/setup.xml
http://IP_Address:49153/setup.xml
http://IP_Address:49154/setup.xml

Longer DHCP lease didn't work. Both plugs are currently not available from the app or from Alexa. I get no response when I ping the IP addresses they were at. http://IP_Address:49153/setup.xml doesn't work for the mini plugs that aren't available, but does work for the lightswitches that are working fine. I can try setting my router to N only, but I'll need to make sure none of my other devices are b or g first. 

[ Edited ]

What model/brand router are you using? If you can..while testing at least keep on 20Mhz for channel width too

Do you have a desktop Mac or PC you can load Mike's free Java based AutomationServer on?

https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java

This can see the true state of your Wemos on your network....above and beyond what the native app does

I don't want to hijak this thread but I'm having the same issue

Netgear Orbi Router with 2 satellites

Wemos Mini plug is close to the router

Unit worked for a few days and then I noticed flashing amber light. Could not connect so I had to do a factory reset.

Worked for maybe 1 day then flashing amber light again.

I did a manual OFF on the unit last night and this morning I noticed no lights or response from the mini

I am not able to ping or access the unit using ports 49152, 53, or 54

I power cycled the mini, the router assigned the mase IP address but still no response

Seems like I am not alone with these issues but I don't see a standardized method to report this back to Wemos so they can find the firmware bug. I have other units that don't have issues (Philips Hue, TP Link Switch, Leviton Light Switch, SmartThings...)

Hi, new to the forum, so appoliges if "me too" posts are frowned upon.

I'm having the same problem as the OP with three minis.   I can say with certainty that the problem occurred after I updated to the newest firmware (2.00.11010.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2).  Before the update, the minis would stay connected indefinitely; after the update, they show "offline" after a couple of hours.   I have three minis, on of which I updated immediately after receiving it, and it started having problems that day.  I purchased two others to see if I just had a bad unit, and I chose not to update them; they stayed connected for three days before I did the firmware update, and then started having the problem within a couple of hours after the update.

I won't bore anyone with my home network configuration - this is a firmware bug.