WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No power to light switch

I installed a wemo light switch in my study that would activate lights, everything worked great and then I tried to move it to my bedroom. After hooking everything up and screwing it into the gang box, I turned on the power and the light switch dimly blinked and now there is no activity out of it. The wemo app says the light switch is not detected, but I know the app is working as it detects the other wemo products I have.

Did the light switch short out?

Re: No power to light switch

Check your breaker panel.  If you blew a breaker, DON'T RESET THE CIRCUIT BREAKER UNTIL YOU FIX THE SHORT!!! 

Do you have another switch in the room that also controls the same lights?  If so, see my post to "Light Switch Controls Outlets".

That's possible. You may try to install it back in the study room where it worked before, so you can tell if the unit has gone defective.

Don't forget, safety first! Smiley Happy

The breaker didn't flip, after uninstalling the light switch, there's no signs of damage externally, or charing on the lines. This is the only switch to the lights.

WEMO Maker Inventor

If the switch doesn't light up or click it's either not wired in properly.  Or it's well and truly fried - unlikely but possible.  If either is true it's not going to show up in the app in any case.

First thing to check is that the wires are properly connected.   Turn off the power, then tug the wemo wires - if they come out of the pigtail, try again.   Even if they don't take off the cap and double check - it can be tricky to get the wires in and connected properly.

It's possible that the switch is on the other end of the run meaning the power flows through the light before getting to the switch.  If that's the case it may not work at all (depends what you're using the in the fixture, incandesent works best).  But it also means the wemo is wired backwards.  Have a look at picture #2 here: http://www.easy-do-it-yourself-home-improvements.com/light-switch-wiring-diagram.html#switch2 you can see that white and black are reversed (though they're supposed to be marked).  If you know how to use a meter you can very carefully confirm which line is hot.

Andot is a member of the belkin team, he really should have known this.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

Check your light butb too, maybe it just went out.