WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Plug Mini won't connect to WiFi network

I bought a WeMo mini 2 days ago and I can not get it to connect to my WiFi. During setup it "Attempts to connect" and then just fails and tells me to "Please look out for device AP in the Network List and retry setup". I have no idea what that means, but I have retried many times. I tripled checked my WiFi password, reset the plug numerous times, rebooted my phone numerous times, reinstalled the WeMo app numerous time, move the plug closer to the router, etc, etc... Nothing seems to help. Any other suggestions?

Re: Smart Plug Mini won't connect to WiFi network

The same here , can’t connect To wifi
WEMO Maker Inventor

What are your router's wireless settings?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Belkin
Communities Technical Support

What does this mean and how do I know? Thanks.

@Chadster766wrote:

What are your router's wireless settings?

Chad,

How about give some idea of what these gentlemen can check on their routers. For example what are some of the router best practices for this unit

I have the same problem.  Did all the resets, reboots, app reinstalls, suggested, and I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Belkin support.  End result: I was told to change my wifi channel to 1, 6, or 11 - which I did, and the wemo mini still doesn't connect with my wifi. I'm ready to return the darn thing, but I really want to use the plug.  Any help would be appreciated.  

WEMO Maker Inventor

It's still flashing amber (not solid blue or flashing blue/amber)?  If so, and you're sure your wifi setup is correct, try it in a few different outlets around the house - leave it for about 5 minutes each time. 

If it's not flashing amber it may be connected and it's just the app that can't find it (shame on belkin support for not sorting that), if it's still flashing amber/blue the setup didn't take - maybe move it and try again.

I've found the wemo minis to be a bit flakey (not to mention the app).  I learned this the hard way trying to move one that was working, it wouldn't connect and I kept trying to reconfigure it.  I finally gave up and moved it to another outlet  to use manually, suddenly it connected - 6' away on the same wall!  The wifi router was in the same room on the opposite wall, in fact slightly closer to the failing wall outlet.  So it's not signal strength - I suspect line noise and a crappy power filter in the wemo minis - which would explain a lot about how hard they are to get connected.

The exact same thing happened to me. Just go to the Wi-Fi settings on your cell. Select forget 5G network and just go with your 2.4 GHz network and your phone will  then only search for your router for the 2.4 GHz network.

If your network doesn’t show up right away continue to search for it and it will eventually show up

I wasted hours until I figured this out. Believe me it worked

I forgot to mention that I was using a dual band router  once I selected forget the 5G network It logged on to the 2.4 GHz network.  So the issue for me was a dual band router 

Hope this helps 

Have 6 various other Wemo products that work flawlessly.  Just bought aa Wemo Mini Switch and it is total junk.  Wasted 2 hours trying to set it up.  Got it working several times in places I don’t need it, but refuses to work where I bought it for.  The hell with it...being returned to store, and seeking solutions elsewhere.  Seems as if Belkin has really gone down hill.  Shame!