WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Friends,

It is with great sadness that I leave this community. There are so many people here who are dedicated to bringing automation to the home, using WeMo to do it:

MikeP, you are the champion of WeMo products. Your talent may not save the platform, but you put 110% into making this stuff work, and you succeed well beyond Beklin’s aspirations.

PeterJameson, your efforts to support our friends here have gone well and above the standard — certainly more than what the staff around here brings. You’re a good egg.

Vince_02 and Carl_S: You are good people. This platform had so much promise. I wish it hadn’t gone so quietly into the night.

Everyone else: I have gone from 26 WeMo devices to zero. The fact that others can control my devices remotely because of Belkin’s abdication of security, that the app hasn’t been meaningfully updated in three years, that the hardware often fails: I have abandoned WeMo.

It was great getting to know so many of you folks. I’ll miss this community. And I’ll miss what WeMo could have been.

Best,

Airman Dan

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I'm very sad to see you go Dan,

Thank you for your recognition of my efforts.

Your posts have been ones that I have always been eager to read along with Mike's. Over and over again through the years we see the same old issues cropping up with WeMo and they never get a resolved at source, just the same repeated 'remedies' on these pages from Belkin.

'Bye now and better luck with your home automation elsewhere.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sorry to hear that Dan, you'll be missed Smiley Sad.

Sorry to hear you are leaving. I haven't been on here for a while. Mike's app makes me forget about problems. If his app had not been available I would have given up years ago myself. I can't even imagine relying the OEM app on a everyday basis. Occasionally I will fire it up and it takes like 3-4 times before I can even get it running even after fresh loads on IOS and Android. I've only used for firmware update the last few years. Just did my dimmers the other day.

It’s “Goodbye” from me as well - good luck with whatever you try next.

Out of curiosity, what are you replacing Wemo with? 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Our old coach would say "all of our best players are leaving" which made those of us that stayed a little discouraged (he wasn't much of a motivator)...  sorry to lose you Smiley Sad.

TP Link has a very good selection of device types but they've gone completely quiet on their community forum and it's filling up with spam - makes me worried they've given up.  Lifx, Hue, and even Lightify still seem pretty robust.

Of course I'm listing stuff that's supported by AutomationManager and AM HomeBridge Smiley Happy.  Nice thing is you can keep using the wemos with your new devices even when the belkin app isn't very reliable (the latest firmware bugs might be annoying but they don't seem to interfere with AM).

Most of my new devices are DIY using the ESP8266 with firmware that works with AM - they're so inexpensive I've automated everything at home that can be automated...

Definitely stay away from those low end import IoT devices.  Sure they're half the price but they're cloud only and you're stuck with depending on their servers (which are often running overseas) to control your own devices!

Newtown:

I replaced my WeMo Link with the Osram Lightify Gateway to take control of all my LED products through their app, which brought me native scenes in the app as well as voice control of color via Alexa.

I then discovered Sylvania makes Zigbee smart plugs that pair with the same gateway, so I replaced my WeMo plugs with those.

Finally, I replaced my WeMo switches and dimmers with GE zigbee switches and dimmers paired to the same Osram Gateway.

It all works brilliantly. The voice control is ever so slightly slower than WeMo, but I have been in touch with Lightify and they assure me upgrades are forthcoming.