WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Someone elses devices showing in my WeMo App! Help!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Currently running 1.18.1 (430011) with iOS 10.3.3. 

Have not uninstalled and reinstalled the app yet, but will try that next.  I get that might 'do the trick', but how does it solve the problem and prevent it from occuing again?  What is the root cause of the issue and are you treating it as a security incident?

What is the name of your Wifi network and do you ever connect to your ISP's free wifi?

@BigGuyTN

We cannot say that this is a security issue but this is valid for Cloud Removal Request. Moreover, were you able to try uninstalling and re-installing the app? If you were and the challenge still persist, we'll forward you to our Engineering Team to remove the foreign devices from the cloud. Just shoot us the following details at WemoCares@belkin.com so we can have this matter taken care of:

-name of the devices that you want to be removed

-MAC address of at least one active Wemo device

-link to this thread

-your username

-contact details (phone number and location)

Also, under the Remote Access page of your app, check if you're connected to your network. 

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Princes_C wrote:

We cannot say that this is a security issue 

IT IS!!!  You really need to take this seriously.  Users are being given access to other people's devices and you're not even sure why - that's very scary.

After several years of good service my wemo app on my Iphone started showing others peoples WEMO switches. Called Belkin multible times for tech assistance. Never was able to fix. Now i notice someone is turning my switches on and off. Scaring my children and causing one to fall and get hurt.  I do not use public wifi. Have given Belkin mac addresses and removed app then reinstalled multible times all to no avail. Someone from belkin has to fix this!  The cloud storage has been comprimised ...take it out of the cloud Belkin! Terry

Went through this and got the same type of response.  No big deal nonchalance.  I eventually had a cloud removal done, and resetup my devices without further incident.  I've stopped purchasing WEMO and have completed my home with smart switches from Insteon.  MUCH better and dimmers available for much cheaper than wemo.  No need to connect each switch separately to my router either.  Just the insteon hub and all devices connect to that.  Would highly recommend folks switch away from Wemo.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Of course you could just turn off remote access, or better yet block the wemo device access to the internet using your firewall to make them completely safe.  But there is no doubt that belkin should take this seriously.

Changing to insteon changes from hubless cloud access to a proprietary hub, and from one cloud provider to another.  Not sure it's that much better?

I suppose it depends on perspective - if you plan to depend on a particular vendor and you're serious you need to consider price, reliability, security, and the future.  I did and came to the conclusion that if I need a hub it needs to be open and upgradeable, if I want remote access or cloud service integration I want it on my own terms and not give up control and privacy to someone else.  So the most important consideration for me is a local API that allows me to access the devices directly and the ability to block those devices from the internet - it's the only way to be completely secure.  

Wemo has that, insteon is a good product too but does not - they've released a public REST API but it still goes through their cloud AFAIK.  Not surprising - the business case for hosting cloud servers only comes together if there's consumer lock-in or some other way to generate cash flow.

At this point as they seem totally unwilling to address the problem, I recommend you file a report with both your local police and the FBI.  Their inaction represents culpable criminal negligence contributing to endangerment of the welfare of a minor.

WEMO Maker Inventor

You'll probably need a subpoena.  It's certainly disconcerting that someone else's devices show up in your app, but the reverse is difficult to prove. You don't own your account to check and there's no decent log available to you.  So you can't be certain/prove that random changes are caused by someone else accessing your devices through the belkin cloud.

Best you can do is deny the wemos access to the internet.  Second best is to use their app to disable remote access - this doesn't necessarily prevent the wemo from reaching the belkin cloud, but hopefully prevents you or someone else from reaching back to your wemo.  

It's not just belkin, letting any IoT device connect to a vendor cloud puts you at risk.