WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Switch downloaded 19MB of data in 1 day ?

And no, I didnt select any firmware update to occur, I assume this doesnt happen automatically as I have previously been asked by the app if I want to upgrade ?

Assuming its not the recent firmware update, why would it be downloading so much data ? Any ideas ?

I have just switched access points, the new one gives me a breakdown of all traffic up and down so will keep an eye on it and see if its a once off or not.

Re: Switch downloaded 19MB of data in 1 day ?

Hi, seedarLet's get this sorted out. May we know which switch do you have? Do you mean that the switch, consumed 19 MB of your data when it downloaded/updated the firmware, or it consumed data at all even not doing the download? Is this the first time the switch acted this way?

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

data use

Thanks for your reply.

On the 7th it downloaded 19M of data, dont know what, I did not request the firmware update and still haven't on that particular switch. Dont know if this has happened before or not as I said, have just updated by wireless access point that the switch connects to and now see its data useage.

In the last 10.5 hours it has downloaded 2.5MB, upload in both cases has been more modest, 410K in last 10 hours, will keep a closer watch. The switch model is F7C027au.

regards,

Scott.

Re: data use

seedar

As verified by the Team, the data consumed on your Wemo Switch is normal so long as it is up and running and regardless of the firmware update. 

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support

Why is it downloading 20MB of data in one day ?

It sounds like WeMo’s cloud is even more hacked than we thought. Not only can you control anyone else’s devices in the world without their permission or consent, but your WeMo switches are being used as crypto-miners and they don’t care.

@seedar,

If you are using the remote access, the internet usage on your phone's consumption will be affected. To clarify, is this a daily consumption that you've paid for or monthly?

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

This was the data downloaded by the wemo switch in a 24 hour period with no activity from me turning it on or off or anyone else in that period, its configured to turn on and sunset and off at sunrise. There was no instruction to update firmware either.

@seedar Allow us to hand you over to our 2nd Level Support Team for further investigation on this matter. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Location-city/state and Phone Number), community username and a link to this post for our reference.

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

I'm seeing similar behavior in the past week and a half the WemoSwitch has downloaded 20MB and uploaded 190 MB. It's has uploaded 30MB in tht past 11 hours. I saw it go from 160 to 190 as i worked throughout the day. I turned remote access off this morning so that's not the issue. The switch is connected to a Unifi AC Access point and Incan monitor the useage via the Unifi controller. I have another Wemo plug but it's not plugged in so the devices are not talking to each other.. WTH is this thing doing? I'm worried that it's have been compromised and either on some botnet or stealing info off of my local network.