WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Switch won't forget old SSID for remote access

I have one insight and two plain switches... and a new SSID. Despite lots of troubleshooting, my wemo android app keeps reverting to the old SSID when I first try to access the switches when outside of my home wifi network. So I can't control them away from home but it also means that the switches can't be found when at home because app still looking for the old SSID.

What I've done - multiple times:

• all switches updated to latest firmware
  • reset all switches... and doing troubleshooting on only one of them - a plain wemo switch
  • deleted cache in android app manager
  • uninstalled and reinstalled the android app
  • Set up one switch connected to new SSID with no initial problems... unticked remembe wifi settings in the setup process and also made sure it was unticked in the settings screen of the app
  • I can control the switch on my new SSID at this point. But strangely, at this point, my other two switches (both factory reset but not yet plugged in) appeared on the app's main control screen (though power buttons greyed out).
  • the switch and app control of it works OK if I only use the android app connected to my new SSID... rules work well too.
  • When I try to use the app while device connected via 3g (ie as if away from home) the switch I'm troubleshooting with (and the other two) initially appear in main screen but app says switches not found when the power button is pressed.
  • when I go to remote access screen, app says remote access is connected to my old SSID
  • sometimes I'm able to disable remote access and then re-enable while connected to my new SSID... though the app seems to lock up during this process sometimes.
  • But, as soon as I connect remotely, the old SSID appears again.

Are the old SSID and also the switches' names stored on the Wemo servers? If so, how do I get them deleted so I can start afresh?

Have searched on here and more widely and can find related posts... such as http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Ideas/Allow-iOS-app-to-work-locally-if-remote-access-enabled-a... - but nothing that helps with my issue.

D

Re: Switch won't forget old SSID for remote access

Hi! Yes, the old SSID and also the switches' names are stored on the WEMO server and on the device itself. In your case, it looks like the old SSID is still recognized by your smartphone. Go to the WiFi settings, look for the old SSID and tap Forget Network. If you have another Android device, you may use it to install the WEMO device/s. Make sure that the app installed on your handheld device/s is on v1.13. To properly reset the WEMO devices, follow the steps on this link.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks Irish_S

But:

• The old SSID was forgotten on my phone well and truly before I went through all the troubleshooting set out in my query
  • My problem isn't with installing the devices - at least not with installing them locally... I do have another device I could use to do it but I would still have to use my main android phone to try to access them remotely.
  • my android app is v1.13 - and the switches have the latest firmware too
  • I have "properly" reset the switches multiple times as I say in my initial query.

I'm hoping that you can delete the old SSID from your server please... because I can't see any other solutions. I realise that this will likely delete other information... maybe rules or my account or something... but I'm happy to start from scratch if needed.

Cheers

Still Hopeful  Smiley Happy

While you are waiting for Support to actual act on this at their end (g.l with that) something you might want to try. 

There was/is an issue with android app not being completely removed when uninstalled. 

Go into the applications manager and locate the Wemo App.

Clear Data + Clear Cache (yup, do both)

Uninstall App

Connect mobile via USB to your PC (if you are a Mac users you are on your own from this point onward)

Using Windows search, search the mobile device for "wemo"

If Windows finds any Wemo folders (or files) delete them

Disconnect your mobile.

Re-install App

Before opening the newly installed app make sure your mobile is connected to your home wifi

Open app. 

Hopefully that will solve your problem. 

Thanks so much for trying to help out.

You were absolutely right about there being traces of wemo left on the device - assume a badly written wemo app that doesn't uninstall properly or maybe faulty Android uninstaller. Found two files and deleted both.

But same thing happened when I finally tried to control my devices via 3g... the old SSID popped its ugly head up again.

I'm just hoping that support staff will do some magic on the server end.

Thanks for trying!

Community Manager

If you sent a message into support just send me a private message on here with the email address or phone number you used.   I can pull your old info off of the remote cloud server.  Just let me know what you would like removed.

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

PM sent.

Thanks Robert.

Just a quick note to advise others with same problem that Robert has deleted my info at the server end and this seems to have fixed the problem. Will be testing over next few days and will update here if any problems.

Thanks Robert.

Hi

I am having the problem of remote access where it gets enabled to old connection.  Please can you reset this for me I only want it to enable to Bella-2G_2EXT

I have tried every other solution and it does not seem to forget.

Please help

gsranu2014@gmail.com is the email I am using for the wemo

Many thanks.

Expert

@bellaranu53

Please send us an email at WEMOCares@belkin.com with the following info:

• Contact details (Full name, Phone #, & Country/Location)
  • WEMO model/s
  • WEMO firmware and app version
  • Make and model of the router
  • Make/Model and iOS/Android version of the handheld device
  • Steps that you’ve tried
  • Community username and the link to this post

Ann_18678
WEMO Technical Support