WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The next Mini hack

Having had a measure of success with the last Mini hack, I'm working on another.

This one will involve taking the guts from a Mini, and repacking them into a small enclosure that will fit inside a standard switch/outlet electrical box. Plan is to remove the existing electrical contacts, and add wires instead. Incoming wires will be the normal Line, & Neutral, and the output wire will be the switched Line wire going to a load, in my case a lighting circuit. Normal wire nut connections will connect Neutral and GND to the load. The Mini front panel switch will once again get re-located to the face of the new enclosure, and will be user-accessible once installed.

So what am I accomplishing? A low cost version of the Wemo Smart light switch. I can currently buy Minis for about $16 "refurbished" in multi-packs. For the cost of an enclosure and a little of my time, I can have a wall switch for 1/2 the cost of the retail price. I have two or three wall switches that are tough to access (behind garage clutter) and this should cure that problem.

Your thoughts? This time I'll take pictures during the build.

Re: The next Mini hack

I have done this.  I tore apart the mini switch and placed it in a single gang box and wired it up.  Here are the problems I encountered...1)  Cover plate needs a center screw to hold it in place, the mini does not have this.  So, I purchased a blank and cut it wil a drimel tool to allow the plug to show, and then I drilled two small holes for the plate to screw into the gang box.  This along took about 4 hours to get it right.  I ruined 2 cover plates attempting this. 2)  Once I had it connected and working, the WIFI signal was terriable..  The gang box eally affects this, and unless your router is close bye, it is TERRIBLE!

For the time, money, and effort I put into this, I just put in a seperate circuit and had the wall outlet "switched" with a wemo switch.  Works so much better and this only took me about 2 hours to do.  A cost savings in my book.