WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The pervasive "cannot connect" error message... new info?

I'm amazed there is not a firm answer to this somewhere on the internet as it appears that so many people face this issue!

Setup using my iPhone starts out fine as I can see the camera image on my phone.  BUT, when I select my LAN and enter its password, it spins for a while and comes back with the dreaded "... 0x10" (or 11 or 12) error message that it cannot connect.  Here's what I've discovered so far:

• I've tried two different WIFI routers and I've tried both WEP and WPA2 security...  nothing seems to work.
  • I've discovered that it actually DOES connect with the router as it appears in the DHCP Clients list.
  • I've tried browsing directly to the camera's IP address.  It comes back with a login popup for which I've tried the usual defaults: admin/admin, admin/<blank>, >blank>/<blank>.  It simply comes back with a "No Data" error message.
  • Now, HERE'S the interesting thing I've found.  The MAC address that's printed on the camera and the MAC address that appears in my DHCP client list are off by one...  one ends in an 8 and one ends in a 9.  Have no idea if this means anything.

Does anyone have a solution that has not been posted?  My next tries will have to do with trying to set it up in a DMZ (at least so I can register as a user) and then moving it back.  I also will try installing it with my ancient iPod Touch (if it has iOS 4.1 or later).

Help!... I really don't want to ship it back to Belkin.

Re: The pervasive "cannot connect" error message... new info?

I was having this issue too.  It turned out that the if the Seedonk servers are down it won't connect.   You can be completely conneceted to your router by WiFi locally (as you know) but for some reason the Belkin NetCam App makes you connect to the Belkin/Seedonk server before you can see  your camera local stream.  I think we should just be able to connect directly to the camera locally without going through the App (which btw is completely possible if they wanted us too)  but I guess this is Belkin's way of making it easy to setup (i.e. not port forwarding etc.) Unfortnately we are at the mercy of Belkin/Seedonk being up and runnig if we want to view our camera streams.

Hi DapperDan. The different MAC addresses that appear on the NetCam and on the DHCP client list may be a result of typographical error. Just so we can be sure, try pinging the IP address associated with the MAC address on the list. If the IP address can be pinged, the NetCam is connected to the wireless network. If not, do a hard reset and repeat the setup. Uninstall and reinstall the app as well. By the way, your wireless network name and password should not have any special characters and spaces. The wireless password should be at least 8 characters long. As an added note, you need to connect the NetCam to the main wireless network and not to a guest network (if you have one) or to a 5GHz network.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Every wemo device MAC address that I own is off by one in the last digit.  The same is true with other customers that I've talked too who have asked me that same question.  Very strange to be sure, but it's probably not causing the connectivity issue.

Bluee... thanks for the reply!  Yes, I see the NetCam in my DHCP list and am able to PING it, so it IS connected to my WIFI.  The problem is, the NetCam app on my iPhone "craps out" while connecting and never brings me to a "create ID" screen.  I have a feeling that if I were able to log in, that everything would work fine... but I never get the chance to create my NetCam ID.

My SSID does does not have any special characters or spaces, but id DOES have multiple capital letters in it.  As for the password, I am using HEX (0-9 and A-F).  Any additional thoughts?

So, I'm not the only one whose WEMO MAC address is off by a digit?  The sticker on the back of the device has a MAC address ending in a 0.  But if I type "arp -a" (no quotes) in Terminal, I see that WEMO actually has a MAC address ending in 1.  Sheesh.

The reason why the MAC Address on your device list is off by a single digit has something to do with how your device connects to your local network. The MAC Address you see in the device list on your router's UI is the device's MAC Address when connected wireless. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy
WEMO Maker Inventor

What does that even mean?  Of course the MAC seen by your router is the correct one, the mystery is why the Belkin sticker is wrong.

If anything the likely answer is that there are two controllers on board and they've been given consecutive MAC addresses (which would be common practice).  Why there'd be two controllers on each and every wemo, and why Belkin would have chosen to print the one that wasn't used on the sticker is beyond me.

I'm going out on a bit of a limb here but let me say "welcome to the belkin support team" to OwiCambo.

I 've found the problem of my Belkin Netcam. After I turn on the netcam, never can setup wifi... lost connection. I tried iphone4, 4s, 5, ipad2, Samsung galaxy zoom, galaxy note, Tegra note from Nvidia. never ever worked... But now I solved it. I thought it was my phone or netcam problem... But it is not....(even belkin shows phone setting guide for android..)

Just go into your AP machine setup(192.168.x.x) and change your wifi channel. Maybe netcam is using same or closer channel... I don't know why but after I change my wifi channel on my AP, it worked perdectly... two of my netcam is working...

OK?

Hello everyone so since these comments have been posted about 2.5 years ago has Wemo or Belkin ever figured out why now in April of 2017 I who purchased an air purifier have two MAC addresses with just the last number which is different ? ( 8 and 9) I have different vendors for my smart home configuration and Wemo is the only one to have this problem!
So any idea Wemo? You've had 2.5 years to look into this issue.