WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

This message was censored when posted.

I have had it. All these Wemo units are going in the garbage can![ New ]

I have had enough! Constant resets and reinstallations to try to keep these POS going. It started when the units could not connect to the Belkin mothership via either of my two routers. I finally set up a dedicated router with a VPN to the US and that worked, kind of...  I tried to get support, but Belkin just blamed my ISPs.

Now, everytime there is a FW update it seems that most of these units, a Link and 6 switches, have to be reset and reinstalled and if the VPN is not up, NO remote functions.

What really made me make this decision was the fact that if the VPN is down, the Wemo units start boadcasting frenetically on the local network and I get severe disturbances.

I like the idea of controlled lights tho, so I bought a Philips Hue and 10 leds. Takes almost no time to setup and they are rock solid in operation.

That is why my Belkin stuff is going in the garbage can!!

LeffeW

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: This message was censored when posted.

karim3000's posts should be censored but I don't think yours should nor have been Smiley Happy.

There was almost certainly something else wrong here in your setup.

The wemo link is belkin abandon-ware, there hasn't been a firmware update in a long while, and you'd know when there was one because you'd need to accept it.  You won't going to see very many updates and certainly there will be none that change function or fix any bugs so you didn't really need to install them.

Belkin's support can barely fix their supported devices let alone the ones they no longer produce - they're not going to have much in their support scripts that will help you.  I can't see how a VPN would be necessary unless you're in a country that's restricting access to the internet.  If anything your router was blocking the outgoing requests and/or the DNS the wemos were using.  And you've only got a single wemo that will broadcast - the wemo.  The bulbs work over zigbee and will have nothing to do with your wifi.  Most likely the problem was with your router bogging down with the requests it was blocking.

I've got 2 wemo links, 2 wemo bulbs, and a few sylvania bulbs and a garden spot.  I've never had to reset the link or re-register the bulbs to get them working again.  Just the far to frequent power cycles of the link and bulbs for reliable operation - belkin never got them stable before (or perhaps it's why) they gave up. Though I really would like my money back for the belkin link crap 'cause it's certainly not fit for purpose.

OTOH hue is an excellent choice if you can afford it.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

@LeffeW and karim3000

Email us the following at WemoCares@belkin.com so that we can have the behavior of the devices investigated when a VPN connection is enabled in your network:

• Phone number
  • Network setup
  • Link to this post
  • Wemo Community Alias

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Hi Moderator,

I have been thru all that with Wemo "Support" before and it did not help at all.

If you re-read the post you will see that I put ALL the Wemo stuff in the garbage can.

Never had a single problem with my new Philips Hue stuff. It just works!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Wishful thinking that it'd be a "re-read" Smiley Wink.  If they had actually pre-read the posts they'd have noticed that karim3000 had simply copy/pasted part of your post in a failed attempt to add spam and banned him rather than offering to help...  

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo