WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Today’s firmware hosed 3 wall switches the Wemo bridge!!

And it broke HomeKit!!!

I installed it on my 2 wall switches and 1 Dimmer connected to Apple’s HomeKit via the Wemo Bridge... and HomeKit can no longer see any of my devices. I was talking to WemoSupport in my email and have heard nothing.

Did anyone do any regression testing at all? Do you actually do this on real life setups????

A big miss and fail. You need to fix this soon or I’m getting my money back.

Re: Today’s firmware hosed 3 wall switches the Wemo bridge!!

LL

Hello Wemo new home kit.

Have you solved the issue with Wemo support?

Firwmare push are done over live setup with no issues it may take up a few hours if you leave firwmare to do on it's own. I personally stay through in app when there is Firmware update.
You may want to exist and boot back.
Check the Homekit - Have you tried Refreshing the Homekit after? Please make sure the latest update is installed.
Wemo is really reliable here but Im running on Android.
I hope this helps!

So after having to restart the dimmer and reconnect it a few times the next day, it worked. I had to hide it, remove it from HomeKit (or HomeKit did it automatically), and reset the switch with a restore. Then I closed all multi-task items in my iPhone, restarted the iPhone, restarted my router, restart my WemoBridge, and finally after 5-6 tries, was able to connect the dinner wall switch to the Wemo app. Then a little later, the HomeKit saw it.

If the WemoBridge was getting a firmware update, too, it would’ve nice to know and perhaps see it’s status. I don’t know if the beidge is involved in the firmware updates or it’s just an interface between the Wemo products and HomeKit, but it’s Venice to see what’s its doing and it’s status.

Finally, does the Wemo bridge communicate via my network, Bluetooth, some other protocol (Zigbee), or a direct connection between the bridge and the hardware. Is the app needed during the firmware update or do my switches connect directly with the Wemo servers via https or through the app or over the bridge?

If it is supposed to take several hours, then explain why and is going on. Technical folks like me are basing our trouble shooting the hardware, app, and bridge statuses. If all looks good, then I expect it to work.

If does not, then I begin to trouble shoot to see what broke. Also, let me control which device to upgrade, as some devices are used for security and become unavailable. That is unexpected and frustrating.

@riversen

Hi there! Allow us to sort this one out. Have you tried to hard reset the Wemo Bridge after updating the firmware? If not, we suggest to perform the hard reset, and do reconfiguration. BTW, when you contacted the Support Team, did they provide you a case number? We'd like to have a better look on your case to further assist.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

Homekit is the problem. What a joke.

I have no case number as you reached out to me and the one time I called support when I was installing the dimmer was pointless. Google provided me more information with the multiple google searches than that level 1 rep rereading the script that I had already and found.

I did a hard reset of the bridge and all switches, deleted the Wemo app, restarted my iPhone after closing any open app via multi-task, restarted my router, ensured that DCHP server did not cash any assigned IP address or name, released and renewed all IP addresses, and repeated many several times.

I... me... myself... did the leg work for an update that should not be so klugey that an IT professional has to fix. I can only imagine the average user who is not knowledgeable about some networking and application behavior when attempting to join a network.

HomeKit is amazing and works wonderfully when developers follow the requirements and use the API’s. It is sadly a joke with so much garbage out there and attempted hacks by android wan’na be’s Who feel they should have access to and mess with root directories and update kernels when they have no understanding what they are doing, thus exposing so much data to hackers and malicious viruses and Trojans.

If you want a totally open environment, set up your servers in Russia using only Kapernsky, install BitTorrent on personal computer where you keep all your passwords, financials, sensitive data, and never update your OS or any security software.

‘HomeKit is a joke...’ is what the jealous kid said who was not part of the fun and feels left out left out when everyone is smiling, laughing, and having a good time. Android is not for me, so I just don’t use it. I see no need to degrade a piece of software that offers me nothing I want or need personally.
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

@wrote:

@riversen

Have you tried to hard reset the Wemo Bridge after updating the firmware? If not, we suggest to perform the hard reset, and do reconfiguration.

LOL, do you really consider this an acceptable step in a firmware upgrade procedure?  I can't imagine trusting my personal information to a team with such poor development practices.  No wonder you're constantly leaking devices between users in your cloud.  Same team?

Most responsible organizations would stop the deployment and fix this type of problem as soon as they became aware of it.

@MikeP

Do you think they are releasing firmware and software update after update in a shotgun approach to fix things? ... actually, a serious question because you really made me think about it after your post.

It certainly would explain why I’ve had 3 firmware updates on each piece of Wemo hardware I have in less than a week.