WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Two Wemo light switches in same gang box

I tried to install two light  switches in the same gang box.  One switch (Wemo 1) appeared on my network and the Wemo app. I can use the switch with both my Android phone and Amazon Echo.  The other (Wemo 2) will not appear in my Wifi searches.  Wemo 1 is labeled 009 and Wemo 2 is labeled A6A.  When I first connected the switches and attempted to connect them to my network, both briefly appeared as connections.  Ultimately, my network recognized only Wemo 1 (009)  as A6A in my network. Wemo 2 (actually A6A) was not recognized.   My troubleshooting determined that I had a neutral wire that was not properly attached to Wemo 2 (A6A).  I corrected the connection and Wemo 2 works manually, but the network still cannot recognize Wemo 2 and displays Wemo 1 with the incorrect A6A designation.  Wemo 2 will display the amber/green for a while after a restart and WiFi reset, but then stays amber.

I have tried resetting WiFi, restarting, turning off the power, resetting my router, telling my Android WiFi setting to forget Wemo 2, moving a range extender within 6 feet of the switches, used a different Android phone,  and all the troubleshooting tips I have found in Belkin support and these community forums.  All to no avail.

Can you use two Wemo light switches on the same network?  Is there any solution?

Re: Two Wemo light switches in same gang box

Hi, @LORENALEP77. You can connect two Wemo Light Switches on the same network, but installing them in the same gang box may cause some problems. Since both devices has its own signal and utilize the same frequency, it may interfere with each other and cause disconnections.

It is recommended that you install the other Light Switch in another gang box.

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support

That advice is just rubbish!

Why is the response rubbish?  Have you installed two switches in the same box successfully? 

Yes. These are WiFi devices - if they are going to interfere with each other they will do whether they are in the same box or not!

Absolutely, if the signal is going to interfere it will interfere regardless of proximity to another switch. If, indeed, there is a proximity requirement (one switch to another) Belkin needs to publish that spec. since that would be a critical parameter of function.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Right, it's about as sensible as "use a non-overlapping wifi channel on your router to avoid interference", which is also crap, support trying to pass off blame to the customer's router rather than accept blame for the app or hardare.

If you're having trouble it's likely a problem with app version 1.15.2 as it's broken according to multiple reports.  It might be a wiring issue as which wire goes where can be a little confusing in a 2 gang box.

it's rubbish because wemo's broadcast their own signal only during setup, after which all of your wemos broadcast on the ROUTER's wifi channel, and the wifi protocol is DESIGNED to handle interference & overlapping signals and channels.  If you have any doubt during setup (as in you can't find a wemo signal to connect to after waiting a few minutes when the wemo starts flashing amber), wire only one switch, set it up, then wire and set up the other (disconnecting the first one during the procedure if you're really concerned).

I've got 9 dual and one with three so they work fine in multiples. OP might have a defective switch as well. I have one that does work but just has horrible Wifi reception so I located it closer to my WAP. I've not opened up a switch but had an Insight that internal Wifi antenna cable had come off and that caused the poor reception until I took apart and fixed.

Is there any trick to a dual gang box? Do you tie all the neutrals together? Tie one of the black wires on each switch together? I can only get one to work...

Update. Got it! Solution is tie all neutral (white) together. And tie hot (black) wires to each individually while return (black) are tied together.