WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Update firmware on new Wemo Mini Smart Plugs

I just bought two Wemo Mini Smart Plugs. Set up the first one with no problems. Updated the firmware and added it to Apple HomeKit. Set up the second one, but I cannot update the firmware to add it to Apple HomeKit. It works fine in the Wemo app, but the only way I can see to update the firmware is when I try and connect it to HomeKit. Pressing the “Update Firmware” button just takes me back to the previous screen. I did a factory reset and re-added it to the app. Same result. I force quit the app and restarted. Same result. It says I need an update in the Connect to Apple HomeKit screen, but that’s not working. Is there another way to update the firmware?

Re: Update firmware on new Wemo Mini Smart Plugs

Update: Reinstalling the Wemo App seems to have fixed the issue.

@Jaredc wrote:
I just bought two Wemo Mini Smart Plugs. Set up the first one with no problems. Updated the firmware and added it to Apple HomeKit. Set up the second one, but I cannot update the firmware to add it to Apple HomeKit. It works fine in the Wemo app, but the only way I can see to update the firmware is when I try and connect it to HomeKit. Pressing the “Update Firmware” button just takes me back to the previous screen. I did a factory reset and re-added it to the app. Same result. I force quit the app and restarted. Same result. It says I need an update in the Connect to Apple HomeKit screen, but that’s not working. Is there another way to update the firmware?

It's good to know that you were able to resolve it in your end, Jaredc. If you encounter further challenges in the future, you can try to force close the app for isolation. Also, here's the workaround that can help you solve the issue: uninstall and reinstall the app, check the LED light status of the Wemo device and reboot it, check your internet connection if it's stable, and use a different handheld device.  

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

You gotta be kidding me. Wouldn't just be easier for everyone if you fixed this absurd Wemo app?
The app crashes every other time, each time I add a new Wemo the app asks for my email ('cmon you already have it!!!), finding the same wifi for the second time seems to be an impossible task for the app, and... updating a second Wemo Plug's firmware???? This seems to be just fantasy!
I updated the first one's firmware, why on earth it's impossible to update the second one? WHY???
And your highly advanced tech solution is: uninstall and re-install the app, reboot, use a different handheld device??????

Seriously, fix the app.

-m

PS. Sorry, I'm usually much more friendly and relaxed... but this Wemo experience definitely pisses me off.

Hi, Mattestanz. We understand your sentiment given the experience that you have. We are here to help you sort this out though. Are you using the latest version of the Wemo app? Have you tried the steps here in updating the firmware of each Wemo device manually?

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

Hello there,

thank you, yes, I already repeatedly tried all of them. None worked.
Starting from the fact that there's no HomeKit code (nowhere, neither on the product nor on the Quick Start Guide, nor on the box, no stickers...). And there is no way I can update the firmware of the second Wemo: the "Update Firmware - Update" function just keeps returning to the previous Settings screen.
Believe me, I'm not new to this kind of tech stuff (I usually build my own computers), and this time I just had to give up.
-m

How about a simple and normal "Update Firmware" button/function in the Edit mode of each Wemo product?
Everything would be so much easier...
-m

@Mattestanz

Try to turn off other Wemo devices while updating the firmware. Force close the app, delete cache/cookies, use another handheld devices, or do a hard reset on the unit to further isolate the setback. If issue still recurs, let's have our 2nd Level Support team run a further diagnosis on this matter. Please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com with the following details;

- Phone number and Location - City or State.

- Community Username.

- MAC Address of the Wemo unit/s.

- The link to this Community thread for reference. 

We'll be looking forward to your email.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

Thank you Carl,
I just sent you guys an email.
-m

Hello again,

I was talking to your Second Level Support Team when, out of the blue...

someone there JUST NOW updated the Wemo app with the new Firmware Update feature!
(See attached screenshots.)

And now it finally works Smiley Happy

Thank you, have a great day.

Regards,

-m

IMG_6470.PNG
IMG_6471.PNG