WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WEMO Mini plug will not shut off

[ Edited ]

I have no idea why.  I set up the WEMO and had it workng fine.  I moved it to another location and had to jump through hoops to get it working with the network and Alexa, but it seems to respond like it should when I either manually switch it off and on (light goes on or out), or have Alexa to turn it off or on.

The problem is, the actual plug stays on either way, if the unit shuts off, the light plugged into the WEMO stays on.  Any ideas?

I've reset the unit several time to no avail.

Thanks

Re: WEMO Mini plug will not shut off

@gpschmidt  Hi there! Can't decipher if it is a hardware defect since it was working properly before it was moved. Were you able to turn it off using the Wemo App, and do you have any other Wemo devices that has the same issue? What is the LED status when you turn it off manually or via Alexa? Have you tried to move it into a different spot (outlet)?

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

I can turn it off and on with either the WEMO App or the Alexa Skills App.  The white light goes on when enabled, and goes off when disabled or shut off.  I purchased this one to try, so I have no other devices.  I have not moved it again for fear of having to reset it once again, reinstalling apps and spending 45 minutes to get it all back online.

Highlighted

Your description is a little difficult to unravel, so apologies if I’ve got it wrong. My understanding of your problem is this:

If you press the physical button on the plug, you hear the click of the unit turning off, but the lamp plugged into it remains on. Same for controlling with Alexa.

If this is the case, check the WeMo app. If you turn the plug off there, do you hear the click, and see the app showing the plug as off, but the lamp remains on anyway? If so, your plug has a bad relay and will need to be replaced.

Send an email to WemoCares (at) belkin (dot) com with this description, a link to this post, and your contact information and they will typically be able to replace the failed device.

Alternately if you purchased this plug recently and kept the receipt, just exchange it at the retailer for a new one. While this problem is more common than it should be, it’s still pretty rare and you should see smooth sailing with a new unit.

Thanks.  I was afraid it was an issue with the plug.