WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WI'll Wemo work on Vizio TV

I am trying to use a wemo switch on my Vizio TV, but because it has an internal switch I can turn off the tv, but it won't turn back on. Any ideas? Thank you l.

Re: WI'll Wemo work on Vizio TV

You'd be better off buying a Harmony Hub that sends IR signals

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep.  It may not make sense to use the wemo here at all... it probably uses as much or more power doing nothing than the vizio uses on standby.  And even at 0W it'd probably be 25 years before you saved enough to make up for the cost of the wemo.

Agree on Harmony!  I have my TV's set to turn on and off at certain times.  You have more flexibility as not only can you turn the TV on, but you have have it change to a specific channel, adjust the volume, etc all on a timer.

Most modern TV's will not turn back on after a power failure.

[ Edited ]

I have the same question- I'd like to use my wemo with my Vizio, and want to know if it's possible.  I know that all that you say in your replies is true, but I have a use case that none of your suggestions will solve, and wanted to know if it's possible.

So, again, any ideas on the original question?

(And before you ask, the use case that my IR on my TV doesn't work, so I just want to turn the TV on and off.  I don't need any of the other IR functions in daily use.  I turn it on and off currently by the switch on the TV (which all work).  I've troubleshooted it with Vizio support, even using phone camera to make sure that the IR signal is getting sent.  But the IR receiver on the TV is shot, and it costs too much to replace, and the TV itself is in excellent condition.)

If it switches on if you unplug it and then replug it in then WeMo will work - highly unlikely.

PhilH wrote:

If it switches on if you unplug it and then replug it in then WeMo will work - highly unlikely.

I actually found two ways to do this.  One that will work with WeMo and get around the problem, and another that I'm probably going to use that allows Kodi to control it, taking the WeMo out of the equation, and not needing the IR.

First, the way around the problem:

from reddit: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3a0jgs/getting_lcd_tvs_to_turn_on_and_off_automatically/c...

http://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-enter-service-mode-to-sharp.html

Quoting here: 

FEB

HOW TO ENTER SERVICE MODE TO SHARP, VIZIO & PIONEER TVs

TO ENTER SERVICE MODE TO VIZIO TV
Method 1
Vizio TVs

• Turn the Vizio TV off.
  • Press and hold the CH + & CH – buttons on the TV.
  • Then press and release the POWER button on the TV Vizio.
  • Release the CH+ & CH- buttons.
  • Press the MENU button on the remote.
  • You should get your regular menu up, but with a “F” in the bottom right corner of the menu (This if for factory reset).
  • Press and hold the MENU button for few seconds.
  • The Service Menu will be displayed.

Method 2

• Turn off th Vizio TV.
  • Press and hold the CH+ & CH- buttons on the TV Vizio.
  • Then press and hold the POWER button on the TV.
  • Keep all three buttons pressed for few seconds.
  • Press the MENU button on the remote.
  • You should get your regular menu up, but with a “F” in the bottom right corner of the menu (This if for factory reset).
  • Press and hold the MENU button for few seconds.
  • Service Menu will be displayed.

This apparently lets you change the behavior of the TV so that it will automatically turn on when power is applied, thus allowing you to use the WeMo.

The other way is to use HDMI-CEC.

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

This is apparently what HDMI-CEC was meant to do- allow you to control HDMI devices without IR.

Hope that helps someone!

Does this also keep the traditional way of turning on and off with remote control?

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately,  you'd have to try it to see.   I ended up using hdmi-cec and Kodi,  because it game me several options other than just turning it on and off. 

I have a vizio tv but I don't have channel up & down on the tv only power button, how can I put the tv on hotel mode??