WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Light Switch: Make connection to outlet always hot/on

[ Edited ]

Dear Community,

I have a few WeMo switch controled devices around the house. Eerything works great and I love the WeMo products. 

I have this one particular regular swtich the turns the outlet to which my TV/Entertainment system is connected to. The switch is located in such a way that people assume it controls the lights to the living room. 

I want to replace this switch with a Wemo Light Switch. But the catch is that I want to make the conenction always hot (i.e. the outlet to which the swtich feeds should always be on). I just want the new Wemo Light Switch that I am going to install powered so I can use IFTTT to turn on and off all the other WeMo outlets in the apartment. Does that make sense? If so, how can I accomplish this?

The drawing on the left is what I currently have and I am wondering if I can do what I have drawn out on the right, or if there is a beter way of doing this?

Thank you!

Diagram.jpg

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: WeMo Light Switch: Make connection to outlet always hot/on

Usually that outlet is intended for a lamp, so if you can relocate your entertainment system power you'd be more consistent with what your electrician planned - but of course thats not really important.

In the switch box wire all of the blacks together (including both from the wemo lightswitch), all of the whites together, and of course ground.  The wemo switch (or an ordinary switch) will then do nothing.

But funny you should ask about options, I've just been playing with this Smiley Happy.  That wemo switch is $40 or $50 depending where get it.  And then it can do one thing through IFTTT (or two if you use long press).

But for $20 bucks (an unactivated android phone from walmart) and those sticky picture hangers you can do more.  Use an app from play that supports widgets and you've got a configuble (and removable) touch interface with multi functions.  No more dependence on IFTTT, everything is controlled locally.  Use WemoManager for another $9 and you've added scheduling, many more rules, and remote access without going through the belkin servers.

mpp_switch.jpgYeah, I hate the power cord too (which would plug in at the outlet under the switch).  There are other solutions for that, including putting it someplace else that's handy and the cord is out of the way.  For example I have a tablet on the kitchen counter with a similar setup, and an old phone in a desk dock configured as an alarm clock and music plus these same functions.

This particular layout is 3 wemo switches and 4 LED bulbs, with quick launch to a wifi thermostat, security system, and security cameras.  Weather, calendar, web browser, and clock are on the next page (just swipe), and the 3rd is direct to the apps used to configure things.  Anything can be reconfigured, just drag it around.

Plus they're handy as emergency phones - 911 access is still provided even without activation, and you can make wifi calls for free.

Wemoe I tried the same thing you did with IFTTT and it worked. The only issue was it would take the IFTTT command up to five minutes or more to respond. I use my light switch as a panic switch to flash outside lights. I use MikeP's

I now use my light switch as a panic switch to flash outside lights using MikeP's wemomanager and and cheap Android phone as the server which I leave plugged in on a  i18 Wall Mounted USB Smartphone Charger & Tablet Docking Station Combo in another room.

Thank you for your responses! Really appreciate everyone taking their time to help out the WeMo community.

I like the idea of the smartphone. I'm just very particular about wires and looks. I will have to think of a smart way to dress up the phone and make it look classy. I'll post updates Smiley Happy

Not that I'm willing to pay $200 for this, but I thought I'd share this commercial product that might do what we are looking to do:
www.amazon.com/Wink-Relay-Smart-Home-Controller/dp/B00MU6GLT6/#

Thanks again!

Cheers,
WeMoe
Community Manager

Might I suggest Amazon Echo?  It will let you group WEMOs together and control it with your voice.  It's a bit expensive as well but really neat for what you want to do.

Just throwing another option out there.

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

Amazon Echo is a geat idea. I have one but be aware it does work with WeMo LED bulbs or WeMo Maker.  I would really like Amazon Echo to work with WeMo Maker so I could turn on my pool pump. Right now I am looking at a not so safe 120-volt relay plugged into a WeMo Switch.

Hi Robert,

I do have an Echo. I use the echo to turn on/off all the devices connected to my Wemo Light Switch and Wall plugs. 

I was am trying to put in a WemoLight switch at that end of the hall because I wanted an additional phycal switch to turn on/off all the other Wemo connected devices. Why need a physical switch when I can just use Alexa you ask? Its mostly for the guests that visit and also my foreign parents who find it awkard to talk to an object..