WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Mini Smart Plug.

Greetings all,

Great news!

Has anyone heard of the new WeMo Mini Smart Plug? I've just received a promotional email from Belkin about it. It's smaller and rectangular and is orientated horizontal on its longest axis to facilitate plugging two of them into a USA double outlet.

Well, it seems a good idea on the face of it, but I'm in the UK and our double outlets are two side-by-side in an horizontal orientation unlike those in the USA which are mounted vertically (I think). Our UK WeMo switches are too wide to allow plugging anything into the adjacent outlet. I do hope if the new device is to be released in the UK that Belkin gets it right and makes it in a vertical orientation so as not to cover the adjacent outlet.

We shall see, but I won't be placing any bets on its being right!

Anyway, on a positive note I suppose that by its introducing a new style of WeMo we can be assured that Belkin sees much more mileage in the product and is not about to abandon it. -Horray!

Regards

Pete

Re: WeMo Mini Smart Plug.

PeterJameson wrote:

Anyway, on a positive note I suppose that by its introducing a new style of WeMo we can be assured that Belkin sees much more mileage in the product and is not about to abandon it. -Horray!

Regards

Pete

We can only hope. Perhaps with a broader user base, they'll get their software team going to sort out that side of things

I agree, Steve1

That would really be a fine thing!

Regards

Pete

Nic

[ Edited ]

Pete,

I am the proud owner of 2 of the new WeMo Mini smartplugs.  They just arrived last night and I set them up without much issue.  This adds to my collection on 1 insight and 2 light switches that have been working well except for rule issues.  

I am one of the many users that were/are affected by the ongoing Rule issues of the Android based WeMo app and I wanted to share my experience with everyone.

The good news:  I can finally set up Rules successfully via the Android App! (before all I would get is a spinning wheel for eternity and the rule would never save).  I literally only have one on at sunset off at 11 pm rule for my Insight so nothing complex.  The workaround I found was to use the iPhone app to create the rule.  That was back during the summer and I never tried setting up a new rule on newer versions of the Android app as I had no need to modify the one that was working.  So I'm happy I don't have to get a hold of an iPad just to set/modify a rule anymore.

The (slightly) bad news:  I successfully set up a rule via the Android app, but naming the rule does not seem to work.  I go in and create the rule, pick the device, pick the triggers etc.   Then the last step is naming the rule with a friendly name.  I can type the name in, but when I hit "save" it reverts me back to the initial rule creation screen without ever creating the rule.  Fortunately I found that if you just don't name the rule and leave it the default name the rule successfully saves and works!

Long story short, Belkin, if you are listening I cannot give a friendly name to the rules I create.  I also cannot go in after the fact and edit the rule with a friendly name, it never saves.

I'm running the latest and greatest version 1.16 of the App on Android 5.0.2

Otherwise I'm happy with the new switches after less than 24 hours of ownership Smiley Happy 

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hey Nic,

Yeah I'm listening.

To be transparent on the issue we have had a small handful of users contact in (Read less than 5) mention the same exact issue you had.  They were escalated, made it to me, I checked it out and didn't see the same issue.  So I shot it back to the Level 3 support agent who is working with the other users to gather more details.

Since I'm here and you are mentioning the same problem let me give you what I tested and see if we can get it reproducable on my end so I can show it to the development team.

The information I have been provided from the users that contacted in is this:

• 1.16 App on android
  • Only reported on 6.0.1
    • Works on other android versions according to these same users.
  • Does not affect iOS.
  • Not device specific (Wemo)
  • Not device specific (brand of phone/tablet)
  • No specific rule type mentioned.

In my test setup I have one of each Wemo device and for android I am using a nexus 7 which happens to be running 6.0.1.

Tests I ran:

1. Create new rule of each type and leave name as default.  (NO ISSUE)
  2. Create new rule of each type and change from default name and save. (NO ISSUE)
  3. Create new rule of each type and leave name as default and save.  Go back and change name from default name and save. (NO ISSUE>
  4. Create new rule of each type and change from default name and save.  Go in and change name again and save.  (NO ISSUE) 

You have provided some new information though in that you have it happening on Android 5.0.2 and that when you try to create a rule it doesn't create it BUT it does go back to the rules screen.  The users who have reported it to us say they create a rule with a custom name and it just hangs, causing them to restart the App.

It seems there might be some kind of common thread that you all are experiencing that would cause this.  Something like this wouldn't go through testing unless it was accidently added in last minute from an older build.  That happened once with iOS and we fixed it ASAP once found.

So, yeah it could happen that it got out but it's weird that it did.  I also find it weird that I wasn't able to reproduce it.  Again there is probably something that I'm not being told.  I have some questions I would like to ask so I can try again.

1) What is your network setup?  Router/access points, makes and models.

2) When you are creating this new rule is it a specific type that you see this happen on?

3) When you are creating this rule is it the only rule in your list or do you have rules you already created and this is an additional rule to that?

4) Are you creating this while connected to your local Wi-Fi network or while remote?

5) If local are you creating it while connected to the 2.4 or 5ghz network of your router?

6) Have you tried another smartphone or tablet? (Sorry totally spaced where you wrote you used an iPad as a workaround)

7) If local or remote, have you tried going to the other type of connection and trying again?  Meaning if you are local switch to remote or vice-versa.

8) android phone make or model?

Thanks,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

Thats all I can think of at the moment but this will help narrow it down a bit.

Community Manager

So forget half of what I wrote.  I got in touch with the QA team and they found out the exact thing that causes this for some users last week and fixed it for the upcoming app release.  It seems to be intermittent and didn't show on our normal test battery according to the bug.

I don't have the exact date that app will be released but it should be shortly.  It will also add support for the Wemo Switch Mini.  So this issue will only exist for a bit longer.

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

Nic

Hi Robert,

I appreciate the quick response!  I'm glad to know there are a few others experiencing the issue too.

I probably should have given the full story on what I did before I noticed the issue Smiley Happy  Not sure it really plays in or not, but here goes.

Once I got my new mini switches set up, I wanted to create a new rule to make a momentary press on one of my light switches toggle one of the new mini switches (so this would be 1 additional rule to my already functioning rule for my Insight I set up with an iPad several months ago).

With my Android phone, I went in to create the rule.  At the point I gave it a name and hit save, it actually dropped me back to my rules screen, but to my horror there were no rules anymore!  So I thought, lets just start all over.  I went into the device reset options for the Insight switch and elected to clear product info (removes rules, icons etc. from the device) so I would be starting with a clean slate.  I also cleared the cache of my WeMo app, closed it via task manager and re-opened.  I was crossing my fingers at that point that I would be able to recreate my rule that got lost with my Android device.  That is when I discovered the issue where I couldn't name the rule, but I did successfully create it.  I also then went in and successfully created my momentary press rule so I now have the 2 working rules (albeit with generic names).

To answer your questions:

I have a Belkin AC 1200 Router with a pretty generic setup.  I don't block any UPNP or other functions as I believe these switches use that to communicate locally.

It seemed to happen with all types of rules I created in my testing, but I didn't thoroughly test all scenarios as you did.

The part I explain above goes over that question, but when I initially noticed the issue, I had no rules at the time and cleared the rules on my one device that ever had a rule set.

It was while connected to my local wifi network.

I was connected via my 2.4 ghz network.

Haven't tried to set up a rule via remote but I could try that and see if I'm able to.

My phone is an LG L90 (T-Mobile)

Really since I only have the 2 rules and I know by going to the edit menu I can see what they do, the friendly name isn't incredibly important, but of course it is nice if everything works perfectly!  I do IT for a living so know that isn't always that case.

Thanks again for listening!   

-Nic

Nic

That is great news!  Thanks for the update!

I was surprised to see though that the fancy WeMo Mini switch icon shows up in the current app version even though those devices are quite new so I half thought everything would have been good.  It probably doesn't have anything to do with that though, sounds like a general bug in the program.

Good to know they are aware of it and an updated App should fix it.  Hopefully when that comes out I can just go in and edit my existing rules to put a friendly name in.

-Nic

I tried 11 times to set up my new WeMo mini. It came yesterday and I was excited to use it right away. I go through all the motions and it tells me it was set up only I can't find nothing on the Wemo app for it, only my original 2 devices. I installed an app called "Home In Touch" and it finds the mini in that app but only allows basic functioning. I can Turn it on or off from my phone but that is all. I can't program it and my Alexa doesn't recognize it. How frustrating. Both me and my husband have tried unsuccessfully but we have the same phones. I have a Motorola Z Force running Android 7.0 .

After much frustration, I found it necessary to create one rule to turn on the Wemo Mini plug and another rule to turn it off.

Is this the correct procedure?

Or can you create one rule to turn the plug on and off?