WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Mini broadcasts local switch network after setup

[ Edited ]

@Reynaldo_P

This may not pose a security risk but certainly causes interference (and a lot of it when you have 10 Minis).  My WiFI network slows down and devices get knocked off when all 10 of my Minis start broadcasting their SSIDs at once.

Hey glc650,

What workarounds have you tried to resolve the issue? Please try the step provided by Jan_B and observe.

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

A factory reset or simple wifi reset fixes it but the fix is temporary.  It's only a matter of time before they all start broadcasting their SSIDs again.

Highlighted

Hi, All. There are no security risks of the SSID still broadcasting on your Wemos. Please be informed that our Engineers are looking into this.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Any updates?  I have the same issue with my Wemo Mini's, on the latest firmware.  Rebooting the switch temporarily removes the broadcasted wifi network, however it comes back and it cogests the hell out of my wifi network (2.4 ghz band)

**EDIT**

Well, after rebooting my switches the networks did go away and just did some further investigation.  My access points that broadcast my wifi network for my WeMo devices is set to auto reboot on Sunday's at 3AM every week.  This seems to be where the problem is stemming from.

What I'm suspecting is that the firmware on the WeMo switches are not optimized for re-establishing a connection after a temp loss to connectivity.  Once the AP is brought back online, other devices successfully re-connect but the WeMo Mini's struggle and continue to Broadcast even though they eventually re-establish a link.

I'm not sure if having a hidden SSID is a variable in this or not, but I'd be interested to know if the others responding to this thread have hidden SSID's as well.

[ Edited ]

Yes! I'm having the same problem! I'm getting awfully tired of resetting and reconfiguring my Wemos. This issue was first reported in January 2017 ... almost TWO YEARS ago. Any progress on a real fix?