WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Mini broadcasts local switch network after setup

[ Edited ]

Anyone else found this?  I have many WeMo Light switches and now four of the new Mini Switches.  Two of my new Mini's continue to broadcast thier local network "Wemo.Mini.Bxx" after setup and use.  They are working fine but I am concerned about security and someone else being able to access them directly.

Re: WeMo Mini broadcasts local switch network after setup

Strange! Might it be some sort of cacheing in watever you are seeing them on - have you tried another device? What happens if you try to connect to it?

Community Manager

jlhamer wrote:

Anyone else found this?  I have many WeMo Light switches and now four of the new Mini Switches.  Two of my new Mini's continue to broadcast thier local network "Wemo.Mini.Bxx" after setup and use.  They are working fine but I am concerned about security and someone else being able to access them directly.

This is a recently discovered extremely rare case bug.  It is a firmware related issue not hardware so a replacement unit might have the same issue pop up.  It is being worked on though to get a fix out.  It popped up once on a test device here and was thouroughly checked over.

ISSUE:

• On rare occasions the Wemo Mini setup SSID will continue to broadcast and can be connected to by your smart device.
  • Your device will receive an IP address but that is all.
  • You cannot directly access the Wemo.
  • You cannot make changes to the setup of the Wemo.
  • You cannot access the internet through the Wemo.

It is annoying but it doesn't pose any danger to your wireless network or your Wemo.  Once you finish setup the wemo changes from setup mode to operation mode.  The setup SSID should also shut off but there is a bug that is keeping it open for some reason.  

What you can try doing is using the Wemo App to do a full factory restore on the Wemo Mini and set it back up.  See if it still broadcasts then.  Again this is an extremely rare issue that has only popped up on a single device here and has been investigated.  Now they are just working on a firmware fix for it.

The following article will help you out on restoring the device to factory defaults http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=226108

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

[ Edited ]

Even more strange that I am now seeing the problem! I am pretty sure it wasn't doing it when I posted the reply above.