WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Mini running DNS resolver

Well, so far I'm unimpressed. 

I sent them the requested info over the weekend - and have had zero response since. Not even an acknowledgement of receipt.

Big suprise! They responded to my e-mail.

Your concern had been escalated to the engineering team. They informed us that they are working a future enhancements related to the reported wemo case.

Obviously this is not a satisfactory response.

Hi obideuce

Well, that's answered your question then.

I've given you a Kudo for your perseverance and sticking to the thread. Doubtless if you have any further queries, you'll "shoot them an email" as they so commonly request!

Regards

Pete

They don’t even have an engineering team. They used to, but they don’t anymore. Now it’s just offshore hourly project work. They might as well forward your calls to /r/ItsLenny.

if they don't have any engineering/dev team anymore... are they just giving up on new products? who is managing current firmware updates? we just need that guy to drop the DNS server in the next update... that'd suffice for now.

Highlighted

They have completely given up on not only new products but also the existing ones. The WeMo Link was discontinued, they promised to support it, but then now they don’t — and they deliberately sabotaged the app so the Link can’t work with any new bulbs.

The WeMo Maker was discontinued with no announcement because they hoped no one would notice. We did. They didn’t care.

The WeMo Bridge was released after nearly a year’s delay without support for half the WeMo product line, and functions less reliably than something you’d expect from a high school programming course.

No one is managing current firmware updates. Note how when you get asked to install them, they always fail.

This forum support staff is outsourced to an Asian firm where not only can they not read English, they can’t write it either. Note how every moderator replies with the same phraseology, usually with the same misunderstanding of the reported problem. Their translator picks out key words and offers suggested icons for responses, which are then poorly translated back. Imagine you had to reply to posts in Mandarin based on Google Translate and your phone’s predictive text interpreter.

That is WeMo customer support.

WeMos run a DNS server because they use FOSS projects they’ve sort of hacked together off GitHub on bargain basement Gemtek hardware that automates an electrical fire about as well as it does your home. I doubt anyone on the team that wrote the WeMo firmware knows what DNS stands for, let alone does.

Whoever they are, they certainly don’t work for Belkin, and you’re certainly not going to get a fix.

This is a fantastic write up.

I bought wemo originally because I could easily integrate them with home-assistant and Alexa. I use a harmony remote in my theater that I wanted to setup on a dimmer. I'd also planned on standard switches for porch lights. With that in mind, what other vendor could I look at?

Philips Hue bulbs/fixtures and Leviton switches. It is the priciest route, but I’ve never heard anyone gripe.
WEMO Maker Inventor

The belkin firmware name even contains the string OWRT - wemos changed from a closed custom RTOS to this open source OS a few years after their first release.  A bit ironic since I understand the roots of OWRT were to get away from a propriety manufacturer OS, and it was built using linksys source 'cause linksys used GPL software which forced them to publish it...

When I reverse engineering the wemo procotol (which was psuedo open but never officially published) I noticed a number of freeware component log entries being created by their app as well.  This wasn't a confidence builder and convinced me I was on the right track in making home automation run in a completely closed/isolated network environment.

The other vendors have various sortcomings as well, mostly to do with security and access to their external cloud servers (which record your personal information even with remote access disabled).  Above all avoid the inexpensive cloud only devices flooding the market!  They all run through far east based servers and you have absolutely no privacy procection.  They support alexa but I'd be very wary of sharing your account info with them!

If your goal is to use alexa without enabling any skills (including home assistant) you might want to look at my app.  I have no skills...  I mean no need for amazon skills Smiley Happy.  I bridge through the echo natively when possible, and via IFTTT or Google when it's not.  So you can use your router firewall to completely block the smart devices from the internet yet they can still respond to voice and remote access.

If you don't mind some DIY work you can safely fill your home with ESP8266 based devices for the same cost (and components) as those overseas sourced devices and a fraction of the cost of the big name vendors.  

gth

[ Edited ]

I would expect the communication skillsets of those with increased seniority examining this fora may well institute change management with regards to the level of assistance offered by the actual purchasers of the plethora of hardware on offer when they are providing direction to a tertiary site.  (let's see the translate result for that sentence!).

Is there are more independent location where written communication may happen with more open-minded (and perhaps technically-capable) oversight?  What sites would you recommend, MikeP?