WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Switch Smart Plug Firmware Update Failure

@Smackajawia

We highly recommend to shoot us an email so we can have our Escalation Engineers to look into your case. Please include the info provided above. We'll wait for it. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

The update is stuck updating for all my minis I have five of them.

Hi, Janlumenti. What is the status of each smart plug's LED indicator? How long has this been going on?

For isolation, please try using another handheld device for the Wemo app to see if the same status shows. You may also uninstall/reinstall the Wemo app. If there's no LED activity on the smart plugs, you can power cycle them and try updating their firmware one at a time.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

The WeMo mini plugs are junk. I have a number of other WeMo devices and none of them are as finiky as these minis -- absolutely would never recommend them to anyone.

Of the 3 minis I have:

- After some unknown condition a few months ago, 1 has never been able to connect to my router again after many, many tries of uninstalling the app, using different devices to set it up, rebooting router, changing router settings, resetting the mini etc.

- The 2 that were working (after a lot of trouble) just had a firmeware update and are in the "upgrading...." mode/won't connect to my router for the past 2 hours. I finally powercycled one of them; no change. Both have a blinking amber led.

@Reil_C's suggestion of uninstalling/reinstalling the app is pointless (why would that make a difference?). As is the "power-cycle your router" commonly suggested (all other devices on my network are fine). I sure hope WeMo support can offer better solutions than those.

We understand your sentiments towards this matter, tagalong. Do you mean to say after updating the firmware of your Wemo device, the LED light status became amber? Have you tried resetting the Wemo device again after the update? If not, you may try that workaround, and check if it can connect to the router afterwards. Please make sure that it's not very far, or near to the router.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue. Mulitple light switches regular and dimmer, plus plug. All got stuck on updating firmware. Rebooting phone didn't due anything. I tried to reinstall the app, however now no devices are showing in the app (like its brand new), however I can still see them as registered on my wireless network. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Hi @trasure. Do you mean to say that you can see their setup SSID on the Wi-Fi settings? May we know if you can still control them physically? What's their current LED status? Please try to power-cycle your Wemo Plugs or use another handheld device for isolation. Check out these articles on how to reboot your Wemo Dimmer and Wemo Light Switch:

Make sure that your handheld device will get enough internet speed and stop any activities that consume bandwidth (such as streaming or downloading). You can also relocate your plugs and position it closer to the router to avoid interference and use the latest version of the Wemo App.

Elyza – 22075
WEMO Technical Support