WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Switch still sends power to device even when turned off

I have 7 WeMo devices in my network all of which worked fine for a number of months up until recently.  The problem is when the device is turned off by either pressing the power button on the physical WeMo device or via the WeMo app, power is still being sent even though the blue light on the WeMo devices goes off.

The only way to stop power being sent is to physically turn it off at the socket which defeats the purpose of these devices! I've tried resetting the WeMo devices multiple times but the problems still persits.

Any ideas?

Re: WeMo Switch still sends power to device even when turned off

[ Edited ]

Hi! It's odd that all 7 of your WEMO devices are acting this way. What are the model numbers of all your WEMO devices? Did you experience any power surge prior to having this issue? How about a firmware update?

Hi, it's only 2 of the 7 which have this issue. They are all running the same firmware version which I believe to be the latest WeMo_WW_2.00.8643.PVT-OWRT-SNS. The devices are all the same model type: 225.

It's really strange as the two WeMo switches respond to the app and turn on and off but the light or device that they are connected to remains on. It's the same symptom when pushing the power button on the front of the WeMo switch, the blue backlight goes out but power remains to teh light or device.... Smiley Sad there were working fine for months.

Community Manager

Can you send me a private message with your name, phone,address, email address and I will have those replaced?  I want to get them over for destructive testing.

Just to get some more info from you on here...

1. When you unplug them they turn off of course but when you plug it back in does power still flow through it?  Or do you have to turn it on first and then off?
  2. What are they plugged into?  Wall, extension cord, surge protector, power strip etc...

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

Hi Robert,

Lets say for example I have a lamp connected to the WeMo, the behaviour is as follows:

Unplug WeMo from socket, power goes off as expected

Plug WeMo in to socket, lamp comes on straight away

Press power button on WeMo on and off lamp remains on

Turn WeMo on and off via App, power light on WeMo goes on and off but lamp remains on

I've tried connecting the troublesome WeMo directly to the wall, via an extension lead but same behaviour.

I will send you a PM as requested.

Thanks Glyn

I have this same issue with my wemo light switch.  Turning the switch on and off still powers the attached light.  Hitting restart stills gives it light.  Doing a reset it is still on.

Hi! If you have tried the steps mentioned by Glynieboy, it's best if you'll contact Belkin to replace the switch.

I am too having that exact same issue.

i am able to turn the wemo off by the mains switch.

any attempts with the app or actually pressing the button on the front of the wemo does nothing, apart from show it is turned off, but all the items connected to it stays on.

Any chance I get get my one replaced, it is not new, but it seems a rather strange and unsafe behaviour.

many thanks 

Tony

@Devilbeard666 Hi. Let's have your WEMO Switch checked by our 2nd level Support team. Please email us at WEMOCares@belkin.com. Include a link to this community post and indicate your community username.

Zeb_10124
WEMO Technical Support

Ok wiil do, I did reset it.......worked for a bit then it happened again.