WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo app not discovering switches that are on the network

[ Edited ]

So I just recently updated my home network to be mainly powered by TP-Link EAP 225 access points. I bought 3 new Wemo switches to add to my existing one as I got a great deal on them at Lowes. I had them set up on my old routers and I could TOLERATE the way they were functioning. They would go offline every now and then, but a quick reboot and they'd be back to normal. Yesterday I set up my new acces points, and after hard-resetting each of my 4 devices, they're connecting to my network (they're receiving IP adresses from the DHCP server on my router) and they're connecting to my access points (I can see the IP addresses of the switches on the controller software for the access points), but as the above sceenshot shows, they're connecting to the network, and then this screen shows up and doesn't go away. Then when I try to connect to the wemo devices again from the wifi search from my iphone, they're not showing as discoverable because as far as my network is concerned, they're active devices on the newtwork. This disables the hotspot function defeating the setup process. How am I supposed to resolve this??? Ive been trying for hours, even plugging in my old routers to see if that would help, and Im getting the same results. Any support would be greatly appreciated as I'm driving my wife nuts.

File_000.jpegFile_000.pngFile_000 (2).png

Re: WeMo app not discovering switches that are on the network

Hello, WEMOnster. Let's get this sorted out. We recommend that you try to force close the app, uninstall/re-install it, then launch it again. You may also need to reboot your handheld device before launching so you can refresh the settings. It would also be good if you can use a different handheld device so we can get this issue properly isolated.

Feel free to update this thread with the outcome.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Ok, so this is my progress... I got 3 of my devices online it took MANY MANY tries, but they're functioning. I took your advice and unistalled the app and then power cycled my iphone to wipe any cached data from the memory. I hard-reset the switch so that there was no lingering settings camping out in the memory.  I disabled the radio broadcast from all but one of the access points in my home so that the app would show only one SSID broadcast (it had been showing my main SSID multiple times on the app I'm assuming because I had that SSID broadcasting on multiple access points), I tried to set it up on all of the non-overlapping channels (1,6,11), I changed the channel width from 20/40 mhz to just 20 mhz, I created IP reservations on my DHCP table so that the MAC address would be requesting the same IP address everytime (and it is because it's showing up on my table after I've made it through about a quarter of the setup process), I moved the switch closer to the access point that I isolated (it's within 3 ft), I tried setting it up on my wife's phone, as well as an older LG G2 that I had in the house. Since I can now access the settings in the app and I'm not just getting that "Which Wemo product are you setting up today?" screen, I thought to maybe disable the remote access and tried setting it up with that disabled. None of these things have worked. This was the first switch that I bought and it's been a few months since I've had to mess with it, so it might need a firmware update, but I don;t know how to update the firmware when I cant even access the device. Now I'm getting all types of errors: Try re-entering your password (which I've done several times at this point), We've lost connection with this wemo device. Try re-connecting to the wemo network and re-entering the app (which this doesn't make any sense, as the whole process gets almost to completion, then this error pops up, meaning, my wemo is on my network, so i can't search for the hotspot signal again, meaning I then have to go and reset the device and start over yet again). It's getting frustrating. I know this stuff isn't an exact science and I'll give it some time, but I've tried all of these trouble shooting techniques and I still get nothing. I don't know what else to try.

WEMO Maker Inventor

If the wemo's stop flashing they're connected no matter what the app says.  In many cases it's the router as they often will not transmit the wemo messages betwen network sections (extenders/waps or multiple channel routers), and belkin has never figured out how to handle this situation in their app nor explain it properly on their help line.  The technique is to start with the app from scratch (reinstalled) as you've done, then connect each wemo up one at a time ignoring the response from the app as long as the wemo itself stops flashing.

Then you'll be able to control your wemos whenever you're away from home using the belkin app.  Use an aftermarket app to control them when you're at home.

Just for kicks, I decided to plug in my old linksys WRT G router form like 2008 to see if maybe the switch would connect to that. It went through the provisioning process and I got the error at the end saying the connection to the wemo was lost, but the indicator lights on the switch were not blinking. So I you were right Mike P. As soon as I turned off the wifi antenna on my phone and was connected to the LTE, the switch in question came online. I was able to configure it somewhat, and then when I reconnected my wifi it stayed online and connected to my network. So thinking everything was ok, I turned off the G router (which I had set up with the same SSID, security, and password btw) and as soon as I did that, the switch lost connection again. Grrrr! I don't really want to leave that old router plugged in and broadcasting as it interferes with the new equipment and I don't want to have to manage all those channels, but is there a reason that I would connect to that equipment and not the new access points? It shouldn't have anything to do with the G standard as all of my other switches are connected to the access points that are only broadcasting 2.4 ghz N. I'm at a loss!

WEMO Maker Inventor

I *think* my wemos are connecting using G but I've never tried to verify it.  Could be the older ones like mine use G and the newer now support N?  

Anyway, if the switch is flashing amber you may need to enable G on your newer router, or leave the old router on and just use it for the wemos.  But try a few power cycles of the switch (use the restart button if it is a switch rather than a socket) first to see if that sorts it.

If it's not flashing amber then it is connected to your new router, probably at a new IP address.  The belkin app may not be able to find it from your phone.  If you can force your phone to the same band and access point as the wemos you might be able to get it to connect locally.

BTW, I typed  "multiple channel routers" above, I meant to type "multiple band routers".

@WEMOnster: Thank you for providing us more details and for trying those workarounds. Allow us to forward your case to our 2nd level Support Team so our Escalation Engineers can work with you and conduct a further diagnosis. Please e-mail us the following details at WemoCares@belkin.com so we can open a ticket for you in our system:

• Full Name:
• Phone Number:
• Location (state/country):
• Community Username:
• Link to this Community Post (for our reference):

We look forward to hearing from you.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

I have B & G turned off and only run N on my 2.4 networks.

I think maybe I'll give the mixed network mode a try. Unfortunately the access points only give me the option for b/g/n on the 2.4 ghz and not just g/n mixed. I stayed away from this as I don't know exactly what the standards are of all of my devices and I wanted to cut any b's out of the equation, but I think this was a first generation switch which might mean I'll have to put at least the g mode on. I'm going to go give that a shot now and if i don't have any better results, might be time to email the techs on this one. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. 

I ran them on mixed when I first got them years ago and then went to N only early last year.  I have some really old late '12 or early '13 Wemos and they handle N without any issues.

Here is an old 2012 copyright manual that just says 802.11n at the bottom of doc..obviously works on G... not sure why that was excluded. 

https://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20159222.pdf