WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo app not discovering switches that are on the network

Well it's connected. It's connected at 1 mbps so i don't know what it grabbed, but it's juuuuuust barely holding on. Thanks for the help again, and the offer for tech support wemo staff. Brute force worked in the end. Quick question just to pick your guys brains, are these devices designed to roam? I have load balancing set up on the access points just to keep from having too much going through only one point, but if for some reason it does go to balance the load and kicks the wemo off, am I looking at having to reconfigure the switch, or would it grab another access point?

Wemo devices don't have the 'roaming' feature, WEMOnster. If you have multiple APs, the Wemo can jump from one AP to another so long as the wireless settings are exactly the same.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support

That might be strictly true, depending on the definition of "exactly", but that's not what I am experiencing.....

I have 2 APs with the same SSIDs and passphrases.  They are from different manufacturers but, as far as I can establish, they have as near identical settings as I can manage.  My WeMo Switch refuses to connect to one AP but always connects to the other, provided the latter has a lower channel number than the first.  If it is the other way around then the Switch constantly tries to connect to the one with the lower channel number but never manages it.  And during the attempt it puts out a WiFi signal on the same frequency. 

WeMo Support told me that it is because it remembers the details about the AP I originally connected it to and won't connect to any other.

WEMO Maker Inventor

That's not been my experience, at least with using different routers (and I believe a few others have seen the same).  If they have the same SSID and passphrase a wemo will connect even to a separate router.

I'd be careful accepting what the support people say - they're reading from scripts and off script they're giving an opinion; very, very few of them have wemos and have seldom tried it themselves.  This tech is suggesting the wemo will remember and only connect to a wifi device with a MAC address from the original connection point - good security if it were true, but this is clearly not the case.

I like your test verifying how a wemo selects from multiple access points.  You'd think it'd pick the strongest signal but simply trying channels until the first successful sounds more like belkin...  I'm curious how you can tell which connection point the wemo is trying to use when it fails, are you powering down all of the others?

The explanation did seem a bit dubious but I wasn't in a position to argue and by the time I got the phone call I had worked out a solution to my problem.  I'm glad the explanation is not true.

The support request started here:

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/WEMO-not-working-with-multiple-access-points/m-p/40088#M1...

I'm 1800 miles away from all the gear so everything is done by remote control but, yes, the power to each of the 2 access points (and the router) is controlled by separate USB controlled relays attached to a PC.  I installed a WiFi analyser on the PC to try to work out what was going on and I can see the WeMo puts out a WiFi signal on the same channel as the AP before it connects.  (Except with one of the APs it get stuck in this state and never connects.)

I also followed your "Finding WeMo" advice and changed the settings on both APs to what you suggest.

Well call me a liar!  I just turned off the "good" AP for 30 seconds and the WeMo switch immediately connected to the "bad" AP.

This is happening to me as well. I can see the switches (2 Mini Plugs) on my router and when I open the wemo app for the first time (I reinstalled) but as soon as I hit the off/on button they both go into undetected mode. I am using a Pixel XL running Android 8.1.0 my router is a Netgear R6900. I had no issues until the last update of the router firmware V1.0.1.44

Hope you can help.

Thank you.

I'm having the same exact problem which has become very frustrating at this point. I bought and grouped multiple WEMO switches for my living room and having a very difficult time linking them to my device.

Please help....

@Henry6969 Hi. Have you tried resetting one of the Wemo Switches to check if it fixes the issue? Did anything unusual happened before you had this problem? Check if they're running the latest firmware. Also, what's the LED status of all the smart switches prior linking them to your devices?

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support