WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

WeMo light switch not working

I installed my WeMo light switch today, and it seemed to connect to wifi. I got the app working. However, the light switch itself did not function. When I pressed it to turn the light on, the light would come on for a split second and then turn off. Then the WeMo app would stop working. After a minute or so, it would come back, and then when I tried to turn the light on, the same thing happened. Is this a defective product or am I doing something wrong?

Re: WeMo light switch not working

[ Edited ]
Check that you have your Neutral wire connected correctly.

Could that cause the problem? I'm pretty sure I had the neutral wire connected correctly, but if that's the likely culprit, I could try again.

[ Edited ]

IMG_2183.jpg

I'm assuming the white wire is neutral, and the copper wire is the ground wire. However, I have never worked with light switches before, so I have no idea if I'm doing it right or not. Since it doesn't match the diagram perfectly I'm just guessing on everything.

Do you have two switches controlling the same light?

No, it's just the one.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Unless there's another wire in that box you probably can't use the Wemo there.   Before you return or move it you could try connecting the neutral wire to ground.  In that case, one wemo black to the white wire, the other wemo black to red/black, wemo neutral and wemo ground both to ground.  Be careful!  Consult with a qualified electrician if possible.

That worked great!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Cool.  I was thinking about it a bit more, and that really does look like a 3 way switch at the end of a run like Phil was saying.  If it's labelled for white, black, and red, that would confirm it.  No worries though, the solution is still the same,

I only have two wires coming out of the wall. One black and one white. I tried all combinations but it doesn't work. Am I screwed?