WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: My New WeMo light switch not working -- Lamp

Well, neighbor took the switch and is going to try --- will provide feedback 

Re: WeMo light switch not working

How are the wemos getting the time? Probably from NTP, perhaps your NTP setup needs some work.

Re: My New WeMo light switch not working -- Lamp

[ Edited ]

We are placing the WeMo switch on a GFIc breaker---- is that a problem ?   It doesnt  seem to be working

Check resistance between ground and neutral. If you are bonded and grounded properly GFI shouldn't be an issue unless GFI is tripped. I have dimmer and switch for garbage disposal and over sink light on GFI with no issues

poke00   do you have a WeMo switch on the GFIC ?  

WEMO Maker Inventor

A wemo switch will work with a GCFI, it's no different than anything else plugged into one.  Wiring devices into a GCFI circuit can be a little tricky - you need to be sure that BOTH the white and black lines from the GFCI load side go to the wemo, and the same must be true for the load you're controlling or the GFCI will trip.

Can you be more specific about what's not working?  If you mean you can't set it up or get it to connect, that's nothing to do with the GFCI, it's a belkin app issue.  If it won't power up or it goes offline (restarts) when you turn it on it's a wiring issue.

Hi MikeP 

Here is what I know: 

I havea problem with my new WeMo switch light comes on then goes off within a second. I have tried resetting everything but does not correct the problem. WeMo switch is in wall outlet box and   controls a light . The Breaker for this curcuit has GFIC built-in.   Can any one tell me what is wrong ?

white Neutral is connected to white on WEMO 

Black on Wemo is connected to power

other black on WEMO is connected to light

green on WEMO  is connected to house ground

When I simply connect the two house black wires together the light comes on ( also have the white and ground tied together).   But when wires are connected as above light does not come on.  Sometimes after I do a reset or factory reset the light blinks for a sec.   

the small bottom green light on the switch comes on when the switch is operated manually.  But does not turn on  light in room.

Should work  --- I think   ---  since the black house wires seem to be OK -- light works when they are connected.  Do I have a problem with Ground or Neutral ?   

This NOT a 3-way curcuit... a single switch controling a single light.  Two Black Wires controlled by switch,  a white neuatal and a Bare Ground available in switch Box --- simply replacing exsisting swith with MEWO light switch 

Confused with new WEMO ---- 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Its a wiring problem, something is loose or not wired as you expect. Best to check with a meter or hire an electrician. I don't think it's the gfci, probably the white is not neutral (see power through fixture wiring). DO NOT connect ground to neutral, that's very dangerous.

I’m having what might be similar problems.  I’m replacing my existing timer to outside security lights with a wemo light switch.  The wiring for the distinguished unit is as follows:

B9EE84F4-9126-4AF4-8CFC-ED0756870BF2.jpeg

Installing the wemo, I connected the C above to Neutral on the wemo; wire 1 (red) to wemo “Switch”; and wire 2 (black) to tthe other wemo “Switch” wire.  Wemo lights up, connected to wifi, connected to app.  I can turn the wemo switch on, off and set rules, but the security lights don’t come on.  I tried reversing the two red/black wemo Switch wires; no joy, still no outside light.  Reinstalled the old timer and it works fine.

NB : (1) the C wire is black but partially painted, and goes to the adjacent switch.  Unclear why - perhaps to draw power?; (2) while the old tinter has text saying 3-way, this is the only Switch for the security lights, it’s not a 3-way; there is ground capability in the box, I have tried it with and without ground, which has no impact.

Incidentally, wemo light switch purchased as part of 8 wemo units, six minis all work just st fine, one more to go after this (wemo dimmer) and thus far they are simple, effective, reliable and work.  This is the first glitch and I’m sure it’s a wiring item I’m not understanding fully.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

@MaxQuinn,

You may follow this link for Installing the WeMo Light Switch to the electrical line and verify if the wires are properly connected. If you have concerns regarding the wiring, it would be best that you get in touch with a professional electrician to assist you with installing the device. 

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support