WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo smart plug keeps disconnecting from wifi

[ Edited ]

Dear All, 

i would like like to offer my 2cents worth on this issue. 

I have 7 wemo devices and constantly drops out. Frustrates the crap out of me, I constantly have to manually reset each wemo device. I do that at least 4 time or more a month. Honestly, if this is the solution, i.e constantly manual reset. there is a bug or improvement needed for the wemo device. I have other smart switchs like TP-Link that does not have this problem.

yes, all wemo and all smart devices operate solely in the 2.4MHZ band. This is the only bandwidth that they can operate.

So the thing I notice about this smart switch is that when it is connected to the WiFi, it is then controlled by another item in your router called “Lease Time”. When the time expires, it will release the IP address and assigns a new address to the device, or in this case your wemo switch. It is the main reason I believe why the wemo switch will drop off. 

The only fix i believe to overcome this, is by setting static address to each wemo device. However, this is not a one step deal. You will need to also know the MAC address of each device and assign the fixed IP address for each device. This will prevent the Lease time from changing the IP address associated to the wemo and apply a fix address to this. This is configured in your router. 

You will also need to reserve a lot of IP address in your router for this. So if you have 7 wemo devices, you can reserve up to 7 or more. That you can decide based on your own home network setup.

kindly note that in a event of a powerloss, which can occasionally happen. Consider the power up sequence of your routers (if you have multiple) if 1 router power up faster then the other. The fixed IP address can possibly get displaced. In this case, then there is no choice but to manually reset each of the wemo device or resetting the router depending which will be more convient.

This setup has been working well for me thus far, however I am still monitoring the setup.

If you have other feedback if your have on this is appreciated.

regards 

Terence Ong

[ Edited ]

Hello Terenceong10,

Apologies for the inconvenience you've been through. We appreciate your feedback regarding this matter and do update us about your current setup. If the issue persists, we can always have our Escalation Engineers look into it further. Just send us an email along with necessary details. 

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

hi Reynaldo, 

Thanks for your reply. Kindly provide me your email. I would like to correspond with you on the matter. 

Regards

Terence Ong

@Terenceong10

You can shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com with the following details so we can have them lend you a hand further. 

• Phone Number
  • Location (City/State)
  • Community Username
  • Link to this thread
Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

The most disturbing thing about all of this is my wemo devices (all 12 of them) have been operating flawlessly for the past 6 months.  Then last night, out of the blue, then all disconnect from the wifi router.  Of the 12 devices, 4 of them have reconnected.  I have pwoered down and re-booted my wifi router and have waited patiently about an hour.  Still no connection to the wifi.  So, I will attempt a power down reset again, but something tells me this is a Belkin thing.  Why, after 6 months, does this occur just out of the blue.  No bad weather, no power outages, just the snap of a finger it happens?  

Yes, I have connected to the wifi router with other devices, and everything seems to work but the wemo stuff.  Belkin, you have a problem.

@txmmoore 

You really have done a thorough troubleshooting job. Let's have our Escalation Engineers look into this further and give assistance. Please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com with the following details: 

- Phone Number and Location - City/State.

- Community Username.

- The link to this post for reference.

We'll be looking forward to your email.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

Hi all. I've been getting a pop-up notice for a firmware update that says it's to improve connections with Apple. I don't own Apple products. With each firmware update 1 or 2 (of my 6) devices fail to upgrade. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Android app but it doesn't make a difference. Concurrently, there are problems with 1 or more devices not detected. The photo and name disappear. I'm having to reconnect and set up devices including new name and photo. Very frustrating.

Hello Mills4tee,

Apologies for the experience. May we know the model number of the affected device that's getting the update for Apple? What are the devices that disappear from the app? What is their LED status when this happens? Please verify the app version of the Wemo app as well as the OS version of your handheld device. 

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support