WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Bridge - REST interface?

Hey gang-

My home automation (of which Wemo is a part) has become pretty wide-reaching.  I have custom Alexa skills and logic running in AWS controlling my water heater, A/C, lights, TV, music, lawn sprinkler, etc.  For much of this, I use the REST interfaces provided by the device manufacturer (even on my old Logitech Squeezebox).  

But not my Wemo switches.  For those, I have to use IFTTT, which has become unreliable over the past week.  I had just started sniffing around AutomationManager when I saw this morning that Belkin is releasing the Wemo Bridge.  Is this just what the doctor ordered?

Will the Bridge offer a single RESTful interface I can call to control all the Wemo devices in my home?

Thanks!

-Chris

Re: Wemo Bridge - REST interface?

The wemo itself provides such an interface. This dude has it documented pretty well: http://moderntoil.com/?p=839

Thanks for the link, corbo!  I checked it out and it's really helpful.

What I was hoping the Bridge could offer is "one stop shopping" to control all my WeMo devices.  As it is, I have about 10 switches and outlets which I would need to address individually.  If the bridge could proxy all my devices, I would only need 1 DHCP reservation, 1 open port, etc.  Ultimately, my goal is to migrate away from using WeMo's servers for remote access, since they've proven to be flaky and are most likely insecure.

Thanks again for the link!

-Chris

WEMO Maker Inventor

AutomationManager (link in my signature) has a one-stop REST interface shop for all wemo devices, as well as TP Link and Hue,  and even custom devices.  No open ports nor internet required.  You might even find you don't need the REST interface as it'll do much of the automation you might need.

Thanks MikeP.  It looks like the best 9 bucks I'll spend all year.

Since it appears that, like me, you're a programmer and automation geek yourself, here's a sample of one of my automation tasks.

I have a window fan hooked up to a WeMo.  So every half hour, my ecobee thermostat sends up to an AWS Lambda function the current inside temperature.  The function then pulls from WeatherUnderground the high temperature and current conditions.  If the high today is above 80, I say the house is probably trying to cool itself.  Below 80, it's trying to heat itself (our lows here are usually 25-30 degrees below the highs).  So if we're in heat mode, and the outside temperature is above the inside temperature (but it hasn't gotten too warm inside), and if it's not rainy or too windy, the function commands the window fan to turn on.  It also sends me a text to tell me to open some other windows.  My next step is to get a couple linear actuators to automatically open the other windows so I can be fully automatic.  This is the kind of nonsense that makes me wish for a single RESTful interface to WeMo devices.

I'll give AutomationManager a shot.  I presume I can run it on Windows Server?

Thanks again!

-Chris

You might be able to run it on Windows Server inside an Android emulator. I’m not MikeP so I don’t want to speak for him on that, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It’s designed to be run on an Android OS though.
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

There's a java version that'll run on a windows server for basic discovery and on/off.  For anything more android is needed for license management and for the same reason the REST server itself doesn't run natively on the java server (though if you have a license you can enable it, and right, it'll run in an emulator if it has Google Play).  But a phone to run it is only $30 from bestbuy - often cheaper than a wemo switch - so it's not always worth the fuss.

That's a lot of moving parts for the ecobee, and most of which are out of your control...  It looks like the ecobee doesn't have a local API and the weather service needs to be external as well.  But there's already a built in periodic timer, so local automation is already possible for making the on, off, and notification decisions.  I've been considering a new feature to make pulling values from a remote service easier, so if you go that route let me know and I'll prioritize it (usually takes < 1 week for a beta).

Hi MikeP-

Thanks for the info.  I already have the service with the ecobee up and running.  It's pretty cool Smiley Happy  I was just frustrated that the WeMo service was flaky and I couldn't rely on it to turn on and off the fan when it was supposed to.

I have my previous Android phone, a Nexus 5, lying around gathering dust.  This weekend or next, I'll get it fired up with AutomationManager.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Chris

WEMO Maker Inventor

Cool.

I've just posted a AutomationManager beta (android only) that's added pseudo sensor (binary) and analog (value) devices.  These can poll (give them a URL) or accept (via REST) updates, and you can set them from IFTTT/Stringify (e.g. for weather changes).  They're handy for use with things like the local wireless tags hub.

The intent is to use them in automation triggers, eg. when the sensor is true or a value reaches a threshold, and they can then take action by controlling the wemos (or TP Link or Hue) directly as well as making REST calls or poking other device APIs.