WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Bridge for Homekit

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with my Wemo Homekit Bridge. I have 7 Wemo Light switches, 2 Wemo Switch Smart Plugs  and 3 Insight switches that i have setup with the Wemo Bridge along with a Apple TV acting as a hub. Everything works fine for a day or two and then things start to go crazy with the Home app getting confused about what is what - i turn on the Living room light switch and it ends up turning on one of the Insight or Smart Plug switches elsewhere in the house. And this happens with at least 2-3 switches at a time. The Wemo app shows the correct status of all the switches and works correctly but the Home app gets confused every 2-3 days. I have already tried removing the Wemo bridge and setting it up again in the Home app couple of times but this problem keeps coming back again and again. Sometimes, just restarting the wemo bridge fixes the issue but it works fine only for a day or two and then its back to the same problem again. Such an issue basically makes the bridge useless.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or know a solution to this issue? 

Re: Wemo Bridge for Homekit

Hello, vkap.
Make sure that the firmware version of your Wemo devices is updated. Anyhow, let's get this case over to our 2nd Level Support Team for further diagnosis. Send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your full name, phone number, location, and link to this Community thread.

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support

Also, the open source code used has been notoriously known for certain bugs that require you to do a few things to avoid many common issues... I know many of the Wemo guys say the new firmware supposedly fixes everything... I’ve not seen it.

1. Make sure your WiFi password is alphanumeric only with no special characters at all. That is no ‘!’, ‘@‘, etc. I personally avoid upper case letters in my password, so it’s a bit longer to ensure better security. Use WPA2 Personal and try it on channel 1 or 11 only. I’d also avoid special characters in your SSID. Don’t hide it because that’s old school security. Anyone who intends to hack your network will have a WiFi sniffer app or tool to quickly find your SSID.

2. Do not assign static IP addresses to your Wemo products. Remove that if you did.

3. If you have Hulu running on your AppleTV, try removing it to see if that works. Hulu hasd/may still have a bug that hoses the protocols for Wemo devices establishing the proper handshakes/connections as it periodically looks for the hardware.

3. Some reported that the Nest thermostat on the same WiFi SSID can cause issues. I created a guest network with intranet access to speperate them. I also unlinked Wemo and Nest.

4. If your updating firmware or adding the hardware, I forgot the network connections to my 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz before install and told Wemo not to remember my WiFi data. I enter that manually.

5. When first setting up, do this closer to the router till it’s setup and any firmware has completely installed.

6. If you were connected and reset your Wemo hardware to reconnect, consider deleting the app (starting from scratch), hiding the hardware, resetting the hardware and restarting your Router (some possible leases/certificates to WPA2 AES and the IP address), restarting your iPhone as you restart router, and unplug for 1 min your Wemo Bridge (not a hard reset unless as a last resort).

7. Be patient. After you upgrade firmware wait. It is horribly slow in reestablishing the connections. Frustrating because it seems broken and there is no status or update to tell you what is going on.

Same issue here. I have one wemo light switch, two mini plugs and one older wemo plug. HomeKit has become confused about which device is which and no longer reads their state correctly.

All the devices work fine when controlled directly within the Wemo iPhone app.

More info...

- All the wemo devices have up-to-date firmware

- The problem gets resolved (for a while) if I power-cycle the Wemo Bridge

Hi, Robmacf. This is noted for further isolation. Please send us an email as advised.

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for responding. Yes, all my wemo devices are updated to the latest firmware. I'll go ahead and send an email as you recommnended.

I have the same issue, I find I need to power cycle the bridge once a week...   Is there a firmware update coming for the bridge, and how is that installed?

Regards

Darrell

Hi, Darrellv. We haven't got a word regarding the firmware update as of now. However, It should be popping up on the app when available. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

This exact issue is happening to me as well.  

About once a week the HomeKit control of wemo devices will become unstable.  The homekit app turns my closet light on and off with 3 of my 6 tiles on the homepage, the closet light tile doesn't do anything, and nothing in the home app makes the loft light or the front porch light change.  The family room and dining room work normally from Apple's Home app.  The wemo app will work fine for every device, but all my automations in HomeKit become worthless.  

If I'm home, unplugging/repowering the wemo bridge will generally fix it, but I havent found a solution for when I'm away (which is when I want my automations to actually work!).  

I also have a philips hue bridge, which continues to work flawlessly at the times the wemo bridge fails.  Suggests that it's a wemo problem, not an apple or philips problem...