WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Dimmer won't connect to WiFi

Installed a WeMo Light Switch and was impressed with how easy it was to setup.  Now I'm installing a Wemo Dimmer and am very frustrated.  2.5 hours of resetting the dimmer, reloading the app on my phone, rebooting my router, checking setting in my router and all it does is give me a message that it can't connect.  It connects to my cell phone.  It runs the light test and it then connects to my router but won't finish.  Meanwhile, the lightwitch I installed earlier works just fine.  I'm a CPA, not a network engineer and this is NOT homeowner friendly and I'm ready to toss it in a box and ship it back.  Just ran through it all again after rebooting everything and I get "Device not connected.  blah blah blah"  

Re: Wemo Dimmer won't connect to WiFi

I am having the same problem with additional WeMo minis. I am so frustrated I'm taking them back. My first to work fine my second set won't work at all. It won't let me set up at all.

Expert

Hi, sbarkley.

What's the Dimmer's LED behavior when you try to run the setup? Does the behavior change after you reset it? For further isolation, have you tried using a different handheld device in setting it up? Also, were you able to follow the setup steps found in this link?

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support

Yes.  I followed that setup.  I've used my Samsung Galaxy S-7 and also tried my Daughters iPhone 6plus.  I installed the wall switch.  powered it up.  It works fine manually.  I connected to it via my phone using the instructions to find it under WiFi.  It runs through the starup fine.  Lights the lights dimly,  Then runs through the startup to brighten them up.  All this works fine.  It then searches for network.  It drop the WiMo wifi and then shows "cellular" (in the app on the phone), then changes from that to my named home router.  The Router is a DLink DIR-655.  Have had this router for several years and it's been rock solid.    Dwells on that for a minute or so then gives me a message about unable to connect and to search for the AP in network listings or something like that.  

I have numerous devices so I've moved some of them to the Frontier Cable router and away from the dLink to free up room, just to be safe.  And as I said, I used the same procedure to hook up a standard wall switch and it worked fine in less than 5 minutes.  And it's connected to the DLink router with no problems.  

Now i can't even get it to show up in the WiFi listing on my cell phone.  I've pressed the reset bar and held for 6-9 seconds as instructed.  That worked the night I was trying to get it to install as I had to try it several times (with no luck).  Now it won't even show up to beging the setup process.  And yes, before I installed it, I got my tester out and etermined which was load and which was line before any installation was done.  Like I said, it works fine manually.  Turns on and off, dims and brightens.  It's just the wireless that simply won't work.  I'm assuming I have a bad device and will have to return.  

WEMO Maker Inventor

Lord was asking the status of the LED ON the dimmer SWITCH, not the LEDs that it's controlling.  Though that too is a good trouble shooting step, you have confirmed the dimmer is wired and working correctly from that perspective.

What often happens is the wemos will connect to your network but 'cause the setup app is crap it tells you the connection failed and you are told to go around and around.  By checking the color of the LED on the dimmer switch you can figure out if it's connected and so isolate your troubleshooting to the app and/or the router configuration.  I think the LED color description comes in the box, if not you'll find it online here somewhere.

The latest setup in the app is reported to be worse than ever before, I haven't tried this version but if you poke around here I think you'll find some hits on avoiding password truncation or the addition of a blank space at the end.

Good on Lord for asking that question, usually the support folks here tell you to reset it and when that does nothing to call their support number without ever checking the LED status with you first.

Expert

sbarkley

To clarify, are you trying to connect the Dimmer to the DLink's network or to your Frontier Cable's? In order for your setup to work, your Wemo devices should be on the same network. Should you somehow need to have some units in a different network, then you need to have a different handheld device for setup and control.

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support

OK, the LEDs on the switch to indicate the light level are and have always been, white.  The led bar at the bottom glows on and off blue when I put it back into reset mode. (which I have done countless times).  I have disconnected the other light switch and my echo dot from the dLink router and have rerun everything through the Frontier router.  The light switch and Echo Dot connected easily.  The dimmer runs through the setup procedure, now says congratulations you can control your devices from your smart phone and then shows me my devices and all that is there is the light switch for the floodlights.  No dimmer.  I've even had Alexa search for devices and she only finds the light switch and not the dimmer.  It simply won't connect to either of the routers.  I've requested a replacement dimmer via my Amazon order but if the new one doesn't work, I'm going to return it all and switch to Leviton or else I'm going to try out Plum Live.  It simply should not be this hard and indicates to me a lack of fully testing before bringing to market.