WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo Dimmer won't connect to WiFi

Oh, and just for the added fun of it, I tried setting up the dimmer using my iPad instead of my Samsung phone after seting everything over to the Frontier router.  It would get all the way through the setup to where I entered the password for the Frontier Wifi and press next and it would then close the app and go to my home screen.  Tried this three times.  Basically, from what I can determine, the app, as others have seid in reviews, sucks.  

WEMO Maker Inventor

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=208550

White means the dimmer is setup and connected to your wifi.  Red would indicate something was wrong.

No amount of resetting and reconnecting is going to change the dimmer as it's fine, and your router is fine.

As I said (and I think you're agreeing), it's the app that's crap.  It's not able to discover the dimmer through your router.  The belkin programmers incorrectly assumed that if the wemo isn't visible to them it's not connected.  So they tell you do take the wrong actions wasting time and causing grief and frustration.

Since the dimmer appears to be properly connected to your wifi, the next steps would be to confirm that is the case:

1. Make sure you phone is connected to your 2.4GHz SSID and try to find the dimmer again.  You may need to disable or rename your 5GHz signal on your router to do that.
  2. Disconnect from your wifi to see if you can use remote access.

Exchanging the dimmer will not help if there is indeed nothing wrong with the first one. 

Changing your router configuration might help, it depends what's blocking the app discovery.

Aftermarket app often work better than belkin's app.

so I loaded AutomationManager and it doesn't discover any devices.  

WEMO Maker Inventor

Are you connecting your phone to your router's 2.4GHz SSID?  If AutomationManager doesn't find them, that's almost certainly the problem.  The other thing to check is whether your router has a way to DISABLE uPnP (enabled is usually the default as it can help if you're running your own servers or torrents, but it's actually dangerous as well as it can block wemo discovery).

If you want to run on your 5GHz SSID you're going to need to go into your router setup DHCP section and assign your Wemo's reserved IPs, and then use those IPs in the "find manually" menu.

Once you get it setup you probably don't need AutomationManager, so don't forget you can get a refund, it's the first FAQ on my site (the "more info" link below) in the AutomationManager section.  You'll also find some more connection tips in the "Finding Wemo" section there.

i see i needed to add the server widget.  did so.  only device discovered......my phone's battery.  added your WeMo Home app, no devices discovered.  I know you all are trying to help me but I hope you can understand my extreme frustration with all of this just to get a single dimmer switch to work remotely.  This is just my general frustration with alot of technology out there anymore.  Before I was a CPA I used to build engines for a living.  I've been a cabinet maker as well.  I purchase tools to accomplish a task.  I've got several computers and a server with my work network and handle some of the simpler tasks with that and rely on my IT guy for the more in-depth issues.  Connecting a **bleep** light switch should not require IT support.  

WEMO Maker Inventor

I do sense and understand your the frustration.  The plain fact is Belkin has a poorly written app and the support team don't use wemos - they're just following a script so can often make it worse.  And aftermarket developers are frustrated 'cause belkin won't unlock the connection APIs so we can do it right...  

To be honest I don't think you need AutomationManager with two devices - at most you'd use WemoHome but Belkin's app should be enough.  In any case don't run the  AutomationServer widget on your personal phone as that's for dedicated server devices.

You haven't mentioned whether you're using a separate SSID for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi signals, and whether you're being sure to connect your phone to the 2.4GHz signal.  It's crazy that you need to know that, it's an unfortunate but important fact when using wemos - belkin messed up that part of the design. 

You can email me directly (use the "more" link in AutomationManager) and I'll try to help you get sorted.

well.. add me to the list of folks that cannot connect.  I purchased three wemo dimmers and none of them will connect.  tried iPhone, iPad and android devises with the same result every time.  The switches work and the app seems to behave exactly as expected until that last phase... it sees the 2.4 network, asks for the password and then craps out.  I tried support... waited on  hold for 30 minutes and the rep had no idea how to help.  None of the devises will connect.  Now i am waiting for a level 2 tech to call within the next three days. To say that I am livid doesnt begin to describe how I feel.  It is obvious to me that Belkin spent way more on marketing than they did on development.  Releasing something like this with such a basic and widespread flaw is beyond unacceptable.   Given the very high price of $70 per switch this should be seemless and flawless.  I just cant wait to see what kind of hoops that level 2 tech is going to ask me to do... I am not a network tech and thats why I purchased something that is supposed to work on its own.   Pitiful and disgusting... nice work Belkin

If you have access to your wifi router try going into Wifi settings and set your 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz channel width....  I run N only but worth a shot.

MHBru wrote:

well.. add me to the list of folks that cannot connect.  I purchased three wemo dimmers and none of them will connect.  tried iPhone, iPad and android devises with the same result every time.  The switches work and the app seems to behave exactly as expected until that last phase... it sees the 2.4 network, asks for the password and then craps out.  I tried support... waited on  hold for 30 minutes and the rep had no idea how to help.  None of the devises will connect.  Now i am waiting for a level 2 tech to call within the next three days. To say that I am livid doesnt begin to describe how I feel.  It is obvious to me that Belkin spent way more on marketing than they did on development.  Releasing something like this with such a basic and widespread flaw is beyond unacceptable.   Given the very high price of $70 per switch this should be seemless and flawless.  I just cant wait to see what kind of hoops that level 2 tech is going to ask me to do... I am not a network tech and thats why I purchased something that is supposed to work on its own.   Pitiful and disgusting... nice work Belkin

Same exact problem, I can usualy get anything to work and  Inever give up until I do, But I after many hours of waisted time trying everything I have come to realize this switch has got me beat! I don't know what to do other then remove it and send it back!

Hi, Aftershk. We'll have this taken care of by our 2nd Level Support Team for further diagnosis. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details:

• Phone Number
  • Location (City/State)
  • Username
  • Link to this Community thread
Gerard-21724
Wemo Technical Support