WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Light won't turn on in the morning when asked by Alexa

Hi,

I have a Wemo light, linked to a Wemo link.  All works fine (normally).  I can turn the light on, off, I can dim it, via the app or 3rd party apps and even via Alexa.

I have a schedule (rule) set up:

1. Hallway Lamp ON at 06:00

2. Hallway Lamp OFF at 09:00

3. Hallway Lamp ON 45 mins after Sunset (I really like Wemo's ability to do x-minutes before / after sunset / sunrise!)

4. Hallway Lamp OFF at 02:00

They all work fine.  However...  After the lamp has been turned off by schedule in the morning, I can ask Alexa to turn on the lamp and she responds "OK", as if everything has worked (normally if there's an issue, Alexa says so).

Nothing responds.  I have to go into the app to turn on the lamp (or physically switch it off then on at the lamp itself).

Once this has happened, I can control the lamp with Alexa during the day no problem.  It seems to be only after the morning OFF routine that the lamp can't be controlled via Alexa until manual intervention.

Anyone else seen this?  Know of any solutions?

Thanks.

Re: Wemo Light won't turn on in the morning when asked by Alexa

That seems odd, MattAnorak. Let's look into this matter. Do you mean to say you can control the Wemo devices using Alexa app, but cannot turn it off? Was this working properly before? If so, when did you notice this occurrence? We'd like to verify if there are changes on the settings that has been made. Also, for isolation, you may try to disable the rule you created and control the Wemo device via Alexa alone. Let's see if that'll make any difference. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

Hi @Nestor_C.

Sort of.  I can control the Wemo light using the Wemo app (and 3rd party apps) no problem at any time.

I can control the Wemo light using Alexa no problem - except...

The only time I can't control the Wemo light (and this only happens when using Alexa - using the app is fine) is anytime after the rule switches the light off at 09:00, you can ask Alexa to turn on the light at any point after that and she will respond as if it has worked, but the light does not come on.

The only way to resolve this seems to be to go into the Wemo app (or 3d party app) and press the button to turn on the Wemo light (or turn it off then on physically at the light).  After that, Alexa will respond to all of the Wemo light questions - until tomorrow morning where this starts again...

Controlling the light via either the Wemo app alone or via Alexa alone is fine.  When you add the rule in to turn it off in the morning, this seems to confuse things (although it has to be said that the rule is doing exactly as asked!)

Hope that makes sense.

@MattAnorak

Hello there. For further isolation, try using another handheld device and recreate the rules, or you can also try disabling/re-enabling the Remote Access to refresh the time settings of the Wemo. May we know the current firmware version of the Wemo link?

Rowena_B 22017
WEMO Technical Support

I had this happen to me a couple of months ago with my google home. I ended up finding out if I used a newer google home (one I bought just 3 weeks before) it worked just fine. I don’t know why this happened but it’s annoying.

Thanks, @Rowena_B.
This isn’t about being able to turn on/off via a device - that works perfectly well. It’s being able to turn on after a timer has been set. All mobile devices work fine with it - it just won’t turn on first thing after a timed event.

@MattAnorak

Make sure that you are running the latest version of the Wemo app and the latest firmware for the Wemo devices. Consider as well that your Alexa is running on the latest stuff on their end. If the issue occurs again with everything up to date, send the following details to our mailers at WeMoCare@belkin.com for us to have our Product Experts look into this further.

-Full name

-Community name

-Phone #

-location (City, State)

-Link to this post

-Wemo app version

-Wemo firmware version

Zane-22248

Wemo Technical Support

Odd. I’ve found a workaround.
If I ask Alexa to turn in the light, she does, but the light doesn’t come on.
If I then say “turn the light to 100%”, it works.

Looking at my routine, I missed one out. At 21:00 Wemo timer dims the light to 1% (works well as a night light).
So I thought maybe it’s the 1% it has an issue with. But then at 06:00 it comes on at 100%.

I’ll change that dim to 10% to see if it makes any difference - it shouldn’t really, as there’s another step after it which puts it to 100%.

Will report back...

That's good to know, MattAnorak. Thanks for sharing a visibility on the workaround you've exhausted. Please update this thread should you encounter further challenges on it, or if you see any changes when you set the dim to 10%. You may also send us an email at Wemocares@belkin.com with those details mentioned above so we can have our escalation engineers look further into this matter. Thank you. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

Sorry, I forgot to test it this morning.  I'll do it tomorrow morning after it's hit the 9am timer to switch off and I'll report back!