WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Wemo Link firmware 10966 is STILL broken

The wemo link is still exhibiting the problem I've been reporting for more than a year: every day or so it randomly decides a bulb is no longer available and drops it so that it can no longer be controlled.    One of the original reports: http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/Wemo-Link-still-having-trouble-after-10937-update

A power cycle of the bulb is needed to get it back online, or occasionally it takes a reset and re-pair to get the bulb going again.  If it was only one bulb I'd blame the bulb, but it jumps around and eventually hits all of them.

Listen, I get it, the link is out of production and you don't want to maintain it anymore (though it's also clear your developers don't know how to fix this one anyway).  Why not open source the thing - give it back to the community so we can fix it?  Or buy back my link and bulbs so I stop complaining.  'cause every morning that I must run around to reset the latest lost bulb it makes me feel like complaining again.

Re: Wemo Link firmware 10966 is STILL broken

If/when you finally get sick of this issue, grab a Smartthings Hub and the wemo bulbs connect natively and work 100% of the time

WEMO Maker Inventor

Nah, I won't be dropping another $100 on a soon to be obsolete controller I don't need, and I'm sure as heck not going to share my personal information with a Korean cloud (nothing against Korea, I just don't think any vendor cloud is a good home for my data)...  Like I mentioned before, picking up a handful of wifi bulbs like TP Link's are a much better and longer lived way to spend that $100.

But it does suggest that it's possible for belkin to fix the problem (skills aside), and I do think belkin owes us something for our original faith in them - at least make what they sold us fit for purpose before abandoning the product.

Cool. Each to their own. Just my reading around the home automation traps are that TP Link and Wemo are the 2 most unreliable names in HA. Guess that's with both being wifi based and most other systems being zigbee. Good luck. At least we still have the maker and that seems to work well

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

If belkin gives me back my investment I'd definitely use that cash for TP Link bulbs - they run just fine in my app.  Not sure what problems you've heard, to me it's pretty clear the wemo issues are their app, cloud, and crappy rules engine.  Their devices are bullet proof, running just fine for many, many months - apart from the mini with it's wifi problem (which ST's can't help with) and the link/bulbs as we're discussing.

If you're not using your wemo link anymore would you be willing to donate it to the cause?  It might be possible to hack it to replace the firmware, especially if belkin agrees to open source it (and they should, so much of it is freeware already).