WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo Link firmware 11057 is STILL broken

Same.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Still breaking every day, at least one bulb needing a power cycle.  Useless for automated lights.

Any word on my refund?  What about on whether this is an acknowledged, fixable bug?

I have 8 WEMO Smart Light switches and 1 mini Smart plug. I have had them installed since June of 2017. On occasion I experience 1 or 2 of them losing their link which requires me to power cycle them off and on to re-establish their connection. This would happen every now and then. But then I upgrade my Firmware to version 11057 and things have gone south abruptly. I now experience a complete loss of connection on all 8 of my light switches simultaneously approximately 1 to 2 days after reset. The mini Smart plug however has never failed. This is not acceptable. Please fix this firmware bug immediately. I am frustrated that I have to cycle my circuit breakers every day or two in order to make the amber lights stop flashing and allow me to control the switches through the WEMO app. 

I am encouraged to see that I am not alone in experiencing this problem because I know that Belkin will be correcting it soon. If not I would like to get my money back on these items and just chalk it up to a bad decision on my part. Thanks.

Perhaps a reset sequence can be included in the firmware that allows a light switch to be power cycled without having to trip the circuit breakers. Tripping circuit breakers is the simplest method that I have discovered to date but it requires powering down all devices that are on the circuit at the same time.

WEMO Maker Inventor

There are small buttons at the bottom of the light switches, one  is for reboot, no need to flip the breaker.

Two bulbs today in < 24 hours.  Out of a total of 5.  So up to 40% loss of function per day.  The Wemo Link is NOT fit for the purpose for which it was sold - IoT control of smart bulbs.

What does it say about the longevity of the product line if you abandon your hardware as soon as it's not profitable?  You have a responsibility to maintain products for their lifetime, not just until you stop selling them.  Anyone considering a purchase needs to think twice - if belkin or realizes their wemo cloud service has too many security holes to be worth the risk/money of keeping it active we will be left with expensive timers that can't even keep proper time on their own.  They would not longer be accessible from any other service (google home, alexa, ifttt).

Belkin: you need to offer refunds on products like the Link that you've abandoned without ever making work properly.

It almost sounds like your Link is about to crap out completely with some kind of hardware failure.  For all my myriad problems with WeMo and the Link, I have never really had an issue with bulbs dropping.  The worst I get is after a power hiccup or Link reset, sometimes bulbs at the far edges of the Zigbee mesh take a minute to re-establish connectivity.

[ Edited ]

I've seen the bulb dropping on the (4) Wemo Links I have.

On the standalone bulbs I have a Sonoff attached and AM will power cycle it to get it back online automatically.   I can't do this on my wall switched bulbs though.

WEMO Maker Inventor

I wouldn't mind a minute or two... but these ones drop and never come back.  My software monitors the link, logging the reports the link sends with bulb status (available/unavailable).  I've got two links and I've tried various combinations of bulbs.

What I can see in the logs is the link reporting a bulb unavailable, then available again a few seconds later.  This keeps happening with longer unavailable gaps, and at some point the link stops trying - the bulb is ignored unit it's power cycled.  It's 5x to 10x worse with this version vs the previous version (and the version 2 back was just as bad too).

The bulbs I could move I've already moved to Hue - where they are rock solid.  Including the bulbs that were problematic on the link.   13 bulbs handled easily, a mix of GE, cree, and phillips. 

It's the firmware - it's leaking memory or crashing when it looses contact with the bulbs.  And they regressed - it got worse in this release.  It's not the bulbs or they'd be failing the same way on the hue - they're still in the same place.

I'd be fine with a warranty return if belkin wants to play it that way.  As long as they take back the sylvania bulbs and esp the overpriced garden spot - all of which are useless with this poorly implemented link.

Those will work with a Wink Hub, in the off chance you didn’t already know that. If you’re an Alexa person, the Echo Plus will also control them, including the color.

I agree that we are entitled to a refund for the Link, in any case. Belkin promised to support it even after it was discontinued, but their latest product (the HomeKit Bridge) doesn’t.
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep, I know.  Seems to me wink is dying and I already have an echo dot.  Not willing to invest another $150 for the echo plus or even $50 for a wink or sylvania hub to chase the dying wemo/sylvania product line...

If they'd just fix the link or unlock and open source it so I could fix it myself I'd be happy to drop the topic...  But yeah, phasing it out with known sev 1 bugs sure suggests refunds are in order...

I've formally released HomeBridge for AutomationManager now - it pairs with AutomationManager working as a hub/bridge to iOS supporting (bridging) the wemo (and TP Link) product lines including the wemo link, wemo maker, and even wemo cameras are bridged as motion detectors.

Have you noticed that the WeMo app no longer prompts you to install the available firmware updates for Osram LEDs on the Link? This is not because they fixed the update process so they work. It is because they updated the WeMo app to stop offering to update.

Dear Belkin, we can still see the mess even if you just shoved it all under the bed.