WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Wemo Link firmware 11057 is STILL broken

It is sad that one team can get it to work and the other cannot.  Seems to show the difference between internal development and (/or properly supervised) outsourced development...

Thanks bilim, that gateway does seem to be working well - fast, efficient, and reliable so far.  The gateway API is quite sensible and the gateway is easy to find in most network configurations (unlike the belkin UPNP discovery architecture that really struggles).

airmandan, your experience with the belkin homebridge and my experience with my HomeBridge/AM Server does seem to be consistent.

The symptoms (for belkin, in case they care which I doubt) are that the wemo link starts reporting a bulb offline, then a few seconds later reports it back online.  This repeats for a while, with the offline period getting longer each time until eventually the bulb is marked offline and is never reported as back online.

But, as airmandan and I have noticed, commands to the link to control the seemingly offline bulb often still work.

The result is that the belkin wemo app (and AM Manager) shows the bulb offline.  AM Manager will let you force the bulb to change state even if the link is offline, the belkin app will not, and the AM Server will still succeed in changing the bulb on schedule (though it'll keep retrying the request since the link never says it's done).

Belkin you've probably got multiple bugs there: 

• the link is too aggressive in reporting a bulb offline
  • eventually the link stops reporting (or checking?) bulbs until the bulb is power cycled
  • commands to an offline bulb are accepted and often succeed (don't fix this one!)

It is nice to be greeted day after day with fully green AM Server status display now that I've retired the troublesome link Smiley Happy.  Even 11057 with all of my other wemos - AM Manager seems to handle the 11057 firmware just fine, I'm not seeing the problems being reported by users of the Belkin app and that firmware.

I figure the links cost us about $30 each in the bundles we purchased.  And I think we're all still looking for a refund for those purchases given the wemo link is not fit for purpose (bulb automation) - unless you're prepared to fix those bugs!

+1 Definitely good to see all green on the AM server in morning.

I've seen where connections using Belkin app reported bulbs and groups offline but AM firing against the Wemo Link bulb group would get it to light up. Individual wouldn't work though. I'm running 15 bulbs at one site and 12 at another. Happy with this OSRAM gateway so far. I would have had a couple already offline in this timeframe with the Wemo Link. I am going to cutover other location later this next week.

For anyone who has replaced their WeMo Link with the Osram gateway:

The product page on Amazon says that the Osram skill for Alexa doesn’t support voice commands to change colors of the Osram lightstrips.  However, I could swear I read release notes somewhere saying they added that ability in.  Can anyone confirm or deny if the Osram gateway paired with their Alexa skill allow voice control of color?

WEMO Maker Inventor

I'm guessing no one here knows as AM users probably won't pair their devices with the Belkin service, and lightify customers won't be on this community...  FWIW you can control the color by voice using the AM Server, maybe that's what you saw mentioned?

Update:  I still don't have a response from belkin on the wemo link being too full of bugs to be fit for purpose.  And my bulbs are still going strong on the lightify gateway with all bulbs still connected properly, no power cycles needed.  What does that confirm belkin?  That it's a firmware bug in the link.  What happened to "we will fix all bugs"?

I don't have any Osram bulbs or I would test. I can't believe how stable this Osram gateway is compared to the Link. I literally haven't had to reset power cycle a Wemo bulb. I'm also using some of their motion detectors which communicate directly with the bulbs versus via the hub. Lights are instantaneous with motion detectors.

If this Lightify hardware is basically the same as the Link ....Belkin really needs to talk to engineers over there. I literally have not needed to reset any bulbs and things are quick and speedy.

I'd almost given up on bulbs... being on the Sylvania OSRAM Lightify hub changed that.  Wemo bulbs work although purchased some Sylvania ones since Wemo EOL'd.

Also using some of their Zigbee switches and motion detectors

How do those switches work? Do they use an adhesive to affix over the top of a standard switch and then have some sort of actuator that toggles the switch? I know the Zigbee protocol says a device must last 5 years under battery power to be certified but I can’t imagine a device that size having a battery big enough to run a motorized actuator for five years. Are the batteries replaceable?

No idea the battery life but they just use 2032s

The ones over the switch are just meant to cover the switch so one doesn't use the switch.   Here are some of the spare parts left over.  You remove two screws over panel and screw that one piece down.  Not pictured are the ones I used that have the screws closer together.  They are all installed or I would take pic.

Either switch model can be just portable and standalone as well.

IMG_8673.JPG