WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Wemo Link firmware 8686 is really poor. When will it be updated?

[ Edited ]

What is the target release for a updated version of the Wemo Link 8686 firmware?

I've found it to be pretty much unusable as is, and I've got a lot invested in the link with many bulbs.  Here are a few of the issues, easily recreatable with a simple rule using a motion on and off to control an LED on and off.

1. The link is very slow to react.  The first command might go through, but any subsequent commands will be delayed seconds to minutes.
  2. The link accepts commands without reporting an error yet sometimes does not act on them.  The above rule will occasionally either never turn the light on or never turn it off.
  3. The link is constantly reporting bulbs offline and then back online when nothing is changing.
  4. If a bulb is powered off (as in it's offline) the link will provide a status that a bulb is online, then report it offline in a status event.  You can see this in the app.  Refresh, it will show as online (and on!), then change to grey after a few seconds.
  5. Setting a single bulb in a group to on causes the link to continually restart.  You can't do this with the app, but the  disappearing rule I mention below can cause it (use a rule to turn the bulb on and leave it on).

In the app, create the above rule.  Then put that LED into a group with another LED.  Poof, disappearing rule.  But it still runs (albeit with the problems above).

Re: Wemo Link firmware 8686 is really poor. When will it be updated?

I can vouch for items 1, 2 and 3.  I've seen these issues in my setup as well.

I just returned two bulbs to Belkin that I only had for one week.  They were part of groups.  They were turning on randomly, while the other existing "veteran" bulbs of the group behaved themselves.  I called tech support.  they told me to reset everything and re-download the app.  I did that, but the problem did not go away.  The tech support people suggested I return the bulbs saying that maybe they were a "bad batch."  I currently waiting for my replacements to come in the mail.

I ran into the same issue with 1,2 and 3. I have 20 WeMo devices which include a WeMo Link. I ended up using the WemoManager from MikeP. No more Belkin WeMo cloud issues. Because I use my own home cheap KitKat android server the trigger responses from my phone or other Wemo devices are immediate. The communication is so quick I can flash my outdoor WeMo lights using a WeMo light switch that next to my headboard. With increase speed I can control the colors on my LED FiberStar pool lights by simply quickly flashing my WeMo Insight that plugs into my 12 Vac power supply. There was no need to to purchase their $350 Power Tower controller and add a new app to my phone.

What is really strange with WemoManager is I can use Wemo's Belkin app and the latency in their cloud has also disappeared.

Now I only use Wemo's Belkin app for "notification" rules or when I am out of the house to turn on specific devices.

cbknapp56 wrote:

Now I only use Wemo's Belkin app for "notification" rules or when I am out of the house to turn on specific devices.

Why use it when you are out of the house?  Sounds like you have a cheap android server at home?  If that is the case you can use WemoRemote to control your devices remotely.

What Android device are you using? I have a Sumvision Cyclone X4 but its running OpenELEC now, is there anything cheaper still that isn't a phone?

@MikeP

> I've found it to be pretty much unusable as is, and I've got a lot invested in the link with many bulbs. 

> Here are a few of the issues, easily recreatable with a simple rule using a motion on and off to control an LED on and off.

Sound like recent Link firmware has been architected or developed by amateur who has no programming skills and do not unserstand basic coding rules applicable to embedded system. Myself I am in process of enlightning a group of software engineers who have been previously developing database apps  and now have been hired to write embedded software. They are smart people but their faces turn sideways when they learn how different firmware structure might be for embedded system where tasks suddently become tied to bunch of physical peripherials which has different response time and when your applicaiton must account for that. Task decoupling, asynchronous request processing and response is something new for them. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

D-an-W wrote:

What Android device are you using? I have a Sumvision Cyclone X4 but its running OpenELEC now, is there anything cheaper still that isn't a phone?

Any of the ZTE android phones from walmart or bestbuy (on sale), $20 to $30 work.  You don't need to bother registering them and they're small enough to be out of the way.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Bump...  any word on when we'll see an update?  Seriously, this version is brutal... way too slow, way too buggy.